no garbage disposal, what to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikejc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If I don't have a garbage disposal what is the best options to use to prevent clogging? I just got a clog.

Thanks!!

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Maybe don't send solid food down the drain?

Also, no fat or grease directly in the sink - even a disposer will not help with grease. When hand washing greasy pans, I wipe them down first then add dish detergent to the pan and mix to emulsify the grease so it can't solidify somewhere down the line when cold water hits it.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
Where was your clog?

If it was under the sink, try to use a slip joint trap. Slip joint traps are easy to take apart to clean or replace.

I use a screen to catch solids. Actually I use two... a course one and a finer one. When the sink gets slow, go empty those screens.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Disposal clogs will usually occur by one of three things.

One, drain connections under the sink may be wrong. Many pics on this forum you see double traps, no slope, etc.

Second, Macaroni, stuffing too much down the disposal and not running the water. Pasta turns into a paste and it will harden like concrete. For pasta, run the water, turn on the disposal and slowly dump the pasta.

Third, If you have galvanized steel pipe for drainage, it easily clogs and it could be rusted away further down if it’s under a slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks