New water heater install

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Edge

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm finishing out my workshop behind my house, and will be adding a water heater soon. The layout has a low water heater under a cabinet in the toilet room, although it can be installed on the other side of the wall if I go with a taller unit. I'm looking at maybe a 38 gallon lowboy. That many gallons because one side is the wife's she cave, and will be designed like a small apartment for company and such, and has a kitchenette and a full bath with shower.
When comparing pricing, Lowes and HD are more affordable. Lowes is AO Smith and HD is Rheem. I can't find any opinions that would want me to choose one over the other. Are there any reasons to go with one manufacturer over the other? And are there any reasons not to install a lowboy?
Thanks.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Broadly speaking, the same methods, elements and concepts are utilized in all American brands unless stated (like non-steel tanks).
Warranties are the same. Assuming you are talking electric 220V.
You should know that you only get about 68% of the listed gallons before the mixing effect starts cooling the delivered temp.

Reach4

Reaction score
One difference for me would be whether the anode was through a separate port, vs attached to the hot nipple. I think AO Smith generally uses the anode on the nipple.

Actually I am not sure which is easier to pull. But I would expect to pull the existing anode, and put in a powered anode to prevent H2S generation. So for that, the separate port is better. But if the separate port has been in place for a while, you would probably need an impact wrench to pull the anode. With anode on the nipple, a big pipe wrench may be sufficient. I never had an anode on the nipple.

Most people will never change anodes, so it would not matter for them.

Another shopping point could be what kind of drain valve there is. I replaced my plastic drain valve.

Randy Edge

Reaction score
These are some good points to consider. I think I'm going with the Rheem. I see that I can get a 38 gallon cheaper than the 30 gallon. It's the same height, just a few inches wider which will be fine. And the anode rod is in a separate port on top. For $69 dollars, I can get a 5 year warranty that goes on after the 6 year manufacturer's warranty ends.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are some good points to consider. I think I'm going with the Rheem. I see that I can get a 38 gallon cheaper than the 30 gallon. It's the same height, just a few inches wider which will be fine. And the anode rod is in a separate port on top. For $69 dollars, I can get a 5 year warranty that goes on after the 6 year manufacturer's warranty ends.
Your case I'd go Rheem, I'd always put a 40 unless someone is adamant about saving 5 bucks or 1 dollar on energy. the biggest excuse for a 30 is its the biggest heater that fits and you got no choice.
Haven't had the greatest luck with Lowes/ AO Smith gas heaters haven't installed electric in a long time. so for me I avoid them but trust me if customer wants that I'll get them the Lowes (and I install many nearly half my heaters) Lowes is close and cheap doesn't bother me, but I give my opinion
But my opinion is really based on gas water heaters no way of knowing if the electric has the same short life

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks