New Problem for DWV Cellcore Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

JOHN D McElhaney

Reaction score
Just to let you know I am a Third Generation Plumber who started plumbing with Cast Iron Lead and Oakum
Wiping lead drain Arms and so on and have seen pretty much the evolution of Plumbing drain material Concrete, Orangeburg (burmco), Transite (Asbestos Pipe), on into the world of Different synthetic Polymer pipes. I say all this because the Master Plumber now a days is anyone with a can of Glue and Hacksaw or cheap Pvc cutter and Folks like my Grand Dad, my dad and all the real Master Plumbers are laughed at by this new breed of Master Plumbers. Why it makes me angry is the real person who suffers is the customers who actually think they are getting professional work done by qualified plumbers which brings me to the PVC Sch 40 DWV Vs the Cell core (Foam core) Issue. The only reason it is used at all is it is Cheaper Easier to work with than Sch 40 Solid DWV. THERE EXISTS NO OTHER REASON TO USE IT. The Plumber wins hands down and the customer gets screwed big time. ITS original purpose was to be used for stacking above the water line. The reason is it will wick weep through into the foam core and drain into the fittings or leak through the walls once it gets totally saturated and then the real problem has started since it has been around and used for more than what it was designed for plumbers are making big money because customers have sewer gas odors and spend a fortune trying to figure out where it is coming from and since these younger plumbers have no clue it is from the pipe itself you get billed for some made up answer such as the "seal on your toilet is bad" or some other ridiculous theory. I am angry because I read an article or several about how cellcore was just as good as Solid Sch 40 DWV and they were giving advice to someone who requested Sch 40 Solid but the plumber used Cellcore. Well I hate for the person who was asking the advice and went with Cellcore. The PLUmBER won and you LOST BIG TIME, Sooner or later your house will smell of SEWER GAS, AT LEAST IF YOU READ THIS and it is not your Toilet Seal. YOU WILL KNOW A HOUSE BUILT ON SAND, WELL YOU GET THE IDEA! IT USED TO BE ABOUT PLEASING OTHERS and REAPING THE BENEFITS OF A JOB WELL DONE, NOT ANYMORE

Reach4

Reaction score
John, I am not a plumber. I found your writeup to present a view that was new to me. It is good to bring this up for consideration. I had not read of permeability problems. Searching around I see that many others share your disdain for the cellcore pipes.

I see that foam core ABS pipe is also available in the areas where ABS is used.

Note that other benefits claimed for Cellcore are less noise transmission and lighter weight. The lighter weight is obvious, but that seems of limited benefit. I don't know if the noise claim holds water. :D

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Easier to cut, easier to hang. Important when you're crawling on you belly like a reptile.
I do admire the handiwork of the previous generations, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks