New Kitchen Sink/Drain Height Challenge

Users who are viewing this thread

Treeman

Reaction score
My son is installing a deeper single drain sink and is requesting ideas for proper connection. See the attached picture. Thank you all for assistance.
Sink change.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a disposer direct connect WYE that connects directly to the basket strainer.. That will save a small bit of room, but it looks like you would also need a Reverse P-Trap.

Treeman

Reaction score
There is a disposer direct connect WYE that connects directly to the basket strainer.. That will save a small bit of room, but it looks like you would also need a Reverse P-Trap.
Thank you. Can you show a picture of the disposer direct connect WYE please?

To me, the wall drain seems exceptionally high. A shorter sink drain strainer would yield an extra inch or two.

I did find this thread from Terry (RIP, dearly missed) that shows the reverse P-Trap: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/drain-too-high-or-sink-too-deep.80965/

This gives me some ideas. Thank you so much. Sincerely appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
In addition to other considerations., you will need to add a bend, such as 45 degrees or 22.5 degrees to aim the trap closer to the tailpiece. That wide-U trap in my avatar is not a real thing.

Treeman

Reaction score
In addition to other considerations., you will need to add a bend, such as 45 degrees or 22.5 degrees to aim the trap closer to the tailpiece. That wide-U trap in my avatar is not a real thing.
Thank you for reminding me of that.

This picture from more directly in front shows that we need to address both the height and side distance change.
1704319000151.jpeg

For others that might wander into this thread with similar challenges, I DID find many other threads covering this topic (should have searched better first). To move the wall drain lower would be a LOT of work - it turns sideways horizontal thru the studs and connects to a vertical vent pipe.

Attached are clearance adding solutions: a thinner sink strainer, a tailpipe with higher dishwasher drain, the direct WYE Tuttles Revenge mentions above, a reversible j bend, and a shallower J-bend: hope this helps others. Thank you everyone.
1704319619318.jpeg
1704319677748.jpeg
1704319712197.jpeg
1704320797152.jpeg
1704319836761.jpeg

Attachments

• 1704320341575.jpeg
    1704320341575.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks