New HW tank problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I put a new electric tank in a few months back. Same size, same brand as the old one. I set the thermostats the same. Then I measure the temp of the water at the sink. It’s the same as the old tank. 135. I know that’s way too hot but I can’t convince the wife it’s dangerous. Anyway, it seems the tank runs out of hot water sooner than the old one. Why would that be?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Wonder if the wattage of the elements are different. Standard is 4500 watt but they do make 5500 watt that would give you more hot water.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
135 is fine for a temp.

What do you mean you set them the same? Those dials are not precisely set at all. This is one reason the water should be tested with a thermometer or preferably a thermometer set in the piping with a thermal well.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
135 is fine for a temp.

What do you mean you set them the same? Those dials are not precisely set at all. This is one reason the water should be tested with a thermometer or preferably a thermometer set in the piping with a thermal well.
Both thermostats, top & bottom, are set to 135. This is also the same setting as my old tank. I measured the temp at the faucet and it is indeed 135. I’m going to check the elements today. Maybe one is bad.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both thermostats, top & bottom, are set to 135. This is also the same setting as my old tank. I measured the temp at the faucet and it is indeed 135. I’m going to check the elements today. Maybe one is bad.
If your running out of hot water "too fast" your dip tube is the likley suspect. It could broken off. But it would be a drastic difference. Is the difference drastic? Or just kind of a guess?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Remember only one element runs at a time. Top is first thermostat satisfy then bottom comes on. 4500 watts at 240 vac = 18.75 amps