New Drain lines in bathroom - does it look right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another suggestion. Get the work inspected. It will fail. Do not waste your time on trying to do a new or revised layout. Let a legit company do the layout and installation. Consult a lawyer, it sound like this company you had do this work is going to fight you, so don't talk to them any more, let the lawyer do your talking.

DanielAZ

Reaction score
See above. It will be inspected. The company is not fighting me. Again, I'm trying to be an informed consumer and I am genuinely curious as to what is the right way to do this. I don't consider that a waste of my time.

If in the end, the company is not willing to finish the work properly I'll go the the Registrar of Contractors who will do the pressuring.

Daniel A

Reaction score
I would ask if you can create the jog in the two inch vent that is close to the lav using a pair of 22.5, 30 or 45 degree elbows to address the horizontal vent. I believe I have read here that up to 45 degrees from vertical is considered vertical.
If that is acceptable you may not need to use the four inch vent by the toilet and may then be close to a wet vented bathroom group.
Are you certain the four inch vent near the toilet is just a vent?
It may help to redraw drawing a with specific fittings and pipe sizes so those who know can give better answers.

I just read this comment. Thanks MKS. The connection I have drawn in both drawings above, where the lav connects to the 2" vent are both above the flood rim of the lav. That may be unclear in my drawing. The intent was for that connection to be 6" minimum above the lav flood rim. Is that section the one that was thought to be a horizontal wet vent?

Daniel A

Reaction score
The one big thing in your drawings, (and also something which your contractor did not seem to understand) is that no vent can run horizontally below the flood rim of the highest fixture connected to the vent. In most places the standard rule is that the vent must be vertical until it reaches a point at least 42" above the floor, after which point it may turn vertical (with pitch to drain) as needed to get to a point in the structure where it can continue to go vertical through the roof.

Thanks as well cacher_chick. I appreciate these comments. See what I wrote above about the vent near the lav. In both drawings I meant for those connections to be above the flood rim of the lav. Is this section the one you are referring to as a horizontal wet vent?

Thanks again!

DanielAZ

Reaction score
Ah. I see it now. If there is room and that section of vent is at least 45 degrees to vertical, it should be good. Or the the toilet vent in diagram A could be used?

Daniel A

Reaction score
I thought I'd post an update in case anyone was curious. I pulled a permit and had the work inspected. As expected it failed. I fired the contractor and they didn't even fight it. They refunded the money I had paid. This is shocking as this is one of the largest plumbing contractors in Tucson.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a plumber in town that is actually a licensed certified journeyman or master plumber. Every company I find says "our experienced technicians..blah..blah..blah." I'm finding out that most people around here who are working on residential plumbing jobs are just undertrained service technicians just like the clown who di our work. I've been told that you don't need to be individually certified here. Most of these guys don't give a rat's a** about the work they're doing.

I'll keep looking but I'm seriously thinking of tackling this myself.

Anyone know any good plumbers in Tucson??

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for unlicensed employees to work for a licensed plumber, but the licensed plumber should be signing off on the work. Unfortunately, enforcement of the existing regulations is spread very thin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks