New basement bath venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

interplexr

Reaction score
I’m planning out a basement finishing job and am looking at the basement rough in plumbing for the future full bath (shower, vanity, toilet). The piping is roughly as shown in the attached sketch. Directly above is a small half bath. The 1.5” vent from that bath was stubbed down into the basement for this bathroom. I don’t see anything for the 2” vent in the Liberty 380 pit. Can the vents for the shower and sink run at 1.5” into this half bath vent? The line from the toilet to the shower vent is less than 12’. We are IPC code as far as I am aware here. Does this also cover the toilet vent needs? From all of my reading in ejectors it seems it should have a dedicate 2” vent? This is all in the front of the house with a metal roof so I’m not crazy about another penetration for looks and leaks. Can the one vent be increased up in size to 2 or 3” to cover everything? I still need to talk to the original plumber if he recalls what he had done but I wanted some other opinions as well so I can be a bit more knowledgeable before talking about it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 59799335-98B6-41AE-AC49-7734B7472245.jpeg
    59799335-98B6-41AE-AC49-7734B7472245.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 141

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not very familiar with sewage ejectors, but the manual for the Liberty Pro380 and ProVore 380 Grinder says:

- ProVore grinder systems including ProVore700-Series:
discharge size can be reduced to 1-1/4”.
- Pro-Series, ProVore-Series and 700-Series non-grinder
systems: discharge size must not be smaller than 2”
- For both side and vertical discharge systems, the vent size must be
in accordance with applicable codes, but not less than the
discharge size

So it sounds like if you have the ProVore 380 Grinder, you could use a 1-1/2" discharge and 1-1/2" vent. While the Pro380 would require a minimum 2" discharge and matching vent.

That issue aside, your rough sketch looks OK to me, assuming all the details not shown are handled correctly. The 1-1/2" lav dry vent could wet vent the shower as well as the WC, which would let you omit the shower vent if desired. For that to work, the 2" pipe from the shower p-trap outlet to the wye where the lav drain joins the shower drain must fall no more than 2" (while still falling at least 1/4" per foot).

Cheers, Wayne

interplexr

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne! The shower vent is there roughed in so I figure it can’t hurt to use it. Is that existing 1-1/2 vent that includes the half bath above adequate for the additional fixtures then?

I’m still not sure if I can add the ejector to that vent as well if I am able to use the pro vote pump. The rough in for the ejector into the main 3” line to the septic tank is also on its side. Is that ok? I though I read it should come in the top but as it is, there is no room to do top entry. This is roughly above the pit.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 06D617E5-A654-4C2F-BE9B-24D9CFB64267.jpeg
    06D617E5-A654-4C2F-BE9B-24D9CFB64267.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 319

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there were no ejector, then a 1-1/2" vent is fine for an IPC full bath. You need to figure out your ejector needs a 1-1/2" or 2" vent. I would think that if it needs a 1-1/2" vent, then the existing 1-1/2" vent would suffice for the full bath and the ejector. But I'm not 100% sure as I'm not so familiar with ejectors.

As to that wye, I'm not sure about the rules for ejectors. But you certainly have space to at least roll that wye up 45 degrees (halfway to fully upright); then a (possibly street) 60 on the branch inlet would get you a horizontal inlet, perpendicular to the joists, but at a higher elevation than the 3" line.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks