Need to flush water heater with no floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ncage1974

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I need to flush my water heater in there really is no floor drain. There is a really small drain that the furnace goes into that is really tiny (barely would fit a water hose in) and i think draining the water heater into that would make it overflow. The only other option i can think of is to stick the hose into the sump pit and let the sump pump pump out the water. I guess i could buy transfer utility pump and a really long garden hose and pump it all the way upstairs to the sink. I would like to having to buy pay over $100 for a pump just to do that.

thanks...

Ncage1974

Reaction score
You can hook a hose to the drain, stick the other end out of the window or run it to the sump. Then open the drain, and let the pressure drive the dregs out.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....o-flush-a-hot-water-heater.79444/#post-576623 including post #7.
Ya there is a window but it has a screen that can't be removed. Also the window is higher so i would need a pump to take it out the window. I guess running it to the sump pit would be the best option.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ya there is a window but it has a screen that can't be removed. Also the window is higher so i would need a pump to take it out the window. I guess running it to the sump pit would be the best option.
If the water is left on, pressurizing the WH, the hose could go up the stairs and out an upstairs window or into the kitchen sink.

Not that running the water to the sump is a problem. That would be the deal if you want to drain the WH. Open a hot water tap to allow air if you drain.

I drained and flushed my WH several times. I sprayed water into the anode hole. I got a fair amount of small rocks out, that had been pumped up by the submersible well pump. I did all kind of stuff to that 12 year old gas WH. I have wondered about running the wand of a small electric pressure washer in. There is at least one brand that can draw water from a bucket.

With my filtering I have installed, no new sand rocks can get in. With my powered anode, no solids from the anode can form.

But if you do that "power flush", you will be way ahead of what most people do.

Ncage1974

Reaction score
Why are you flushing it, I don't even bother
Primarily because we are having hot water pressure issues to our Jaquizi Tub in our master bathroom (i'm hoping it fixes the issue) and secondarily just for generally maintenance.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
" I would like to having to buy pay over $100 for a pump just to do that."
If the WH is 10 years or older, and if you have never flushed it before...don't invest in a pump you'll most likely won't use again, instead buy a new WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks