Need ideas to fix S trap

Users who are viewing this thread

GreyG

Reaction score
I've remodeled my kitchen last year, put in disposal, drain. I had trouble lining up things so effectively I ended with S trap. My sink not draining so good and now I want to fix it. Just can't come up with anything good.

IMG_20211123_204512.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
How does the height of the trap adapter at the wall compare with the height of the discharge tube from the disposal?

I recommend a self-leveling laser level to help you with that determination.

If the distributor tube is higher, it's going to be easy.
Otherwise, these are the choices:
1. Scratch the disposal, and put food waste into the garbage container.
2. If you have a bigger disposal, go smaller, but if you have the Insinkorator Badger or Compact, you are also as small as I know of.
3. Open the wall, and lower the trap adapter.

Still, you could make it a little better by turning the U tube around so it sits lower. Unscrew, rotated 180 degrees, screw it back. Then change the connection into the trap to not go up. But still. This can improve things, but if the distributor tube is not higher than the trap adapter, it's not going to be right.

Last edited:

GreyG

Reaction score
I didn't think about level. That helps a bit. I don't think I want to change disposal. Sorry, but I am not well versed in plumbing terminology, what are distributor and U tube?

IMG_20211128_190836.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Good news on the level!

distributor tube is tube coming out of the disposal that is nearly horizontal.

U bend is the white plastic just under the green on the right. See the two nuts.? The right nut has the green line on it. The other nut is down and to the left 3.x inches. U-bend is part of the P-trap. Flipping the U-tube around only works if you have a reversible p-trap already.

You may have more slope on your distributor tube than you need. If you shorten the tailpiece (the white piece with the vertical green line) a tad, you could reduce the slope. 1/4 inch drop per foot is the norm. You might be a tad over that.

I am not sure you have the right tee there. You want one with a baffle that routes flow from the disposal to the right, and flow down from above to the right. If you look and find a different baffle arrangement, you will get a different baffle tee.

Last edited:

GreyG

Reaction score
Good news on the level!

distributor tube is tube coming out of the disposal.

You may have more slope on your distributor tube than you need. If you shorten the tailpiece (the white piece with the vertical green line) a tad, you could reduce the slope. 1/4 inch drop per foot is the norm. You might be a tad over that.
OK. Now I see that the slope is overkill.
Can I reverse P trap though?

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. Now I see that the slope is overkill.
Can I reverse P trap though?
Turn the nuts CCW, when viewed from below, and find out. Put a tub underneath to catch the water first. Loosen nuts. Drop U a bit. Rotate. Attach nuts... OK more plastic will be needed probably to connect one side, but you know where to get that stuff. The point is to make the entrance into the U lower, so that you don't go uphill on the way to the U.

If you can't do it with what you have, shop for a reversible 1-1/2 inch slip p-trap.

Look through https://terrylove.com/forums/index....be-installed-backwards-j-bend-lo-inlet.30064/ Don't worry that they called it a J-bend and I called it a U bend.

Maybe try to make yours look like the picture in post #6.

Last edited:

GreyG

Reaction score
If you can't do it with what you have, shop for a reversible 1-1/2 inch slip p-trap.

Look through https://terrylove.com/forums/index....be-installed-backwards-j-bend-lo-inlet.30064/ Don't worry that they called it a J-bend and I called it a U bend.

Maybe try to make yours look like the picture in post #6.
Yes! I think you pointed me into the right direction.
Funny, I just stumbled at the same post. Will have to order it online though as nothing available locally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks