Need help with adding salt to brine tank, added two bags still not enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

James Wilton

Reaction score
I had no salt in my brine tank and also noticed the water had some dirt on bottom of brine tank so I dumped it out.

After that I regentated system so the water filled back in the brine tank and added two 40 pound salt bags which went about an inch above the water line.

After that, I regenerated the system again and woke up this morning and the brine tank had added about 4 inches more of water in the brine tank to were the water is about 3 inches above salt now.

My question is, do I add 1 or 2 more bags so salts above water line or should I just dump some of the water out the brine tank?

Waters at the half full line on brine tank.

Is putting four 40 pound bags in brine tank normal?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is this a new softener install?

Describe the system size and the control valve it is equipped with. Photos may be posted.

Most current systems use a timed brine tank fill setting so a precise amount of water will flow into the brine tank. Each 1 gallon entering will dissolve 3 lbs salt which will explain why there was less salt remaining after your initial regeneration cycle.

The general recommendation is to fill the brine tank with salt (150 lbs?) and then refill again once the salt remaining is below the fluid level.

As the correct salt amount to be dissolved is directly conditional on the amount of usable capacity to be regenerated, you may wish to post the current program settings as we may be able to recommend alternate settings to reduce salt consumption and improve salt efficiency and performance.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
After that, I regenerated the system again and woke up this morning and the brine tank had added about 4 inches more of water in the brine tank to were the water is about 3 inches above salt now.
With most non-cabinet softeners, the brine tank gets filled last. If you had checked the level two hours after the regen, and then found the level had risen from that level overnight, that would point to a seal or valve in the softener leaking. Usually there is a safety valve float to prevent overflow in the case of such a failure.

So if it is the safety valve limiting the fill, you would want to troubleshoot or rebuild the softener valve. What valve does your system have?

On the other hand, if the level is reached within two hours after regeneration starts, it may be normal.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It is not imperative that the salt level be above the water level. The salt will still dissolve until saturated. It is not uncommon to let the salt level drop below the water level while observing the brine fill and draw. In normal operation however, one should fill the brine tank with salt.

That said, having the water level half way up and rising on subsequent regens sounds like it there is a problem with it not drawing well.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is not imperative that the salt level be above the water level. The salt will still dissolve until saturated.
You don't buy into the stratification thing?

I have presumed that stratification was real, and if I want to put less salt in than what would cover the water, I tilt the salt pour so that some salt is above water.

Bannerman

Reaction score
rising on subsequent regens sounds like it there is a problem
I anticipate the additional fluid above the salt, is due to the amount of salt that was dissolved after the 2nd brine fill.

I suspect the softener is programmed with incorrect settings resulting in too much water entering the brine tank.

With regard to stratification, prior searches on this forum and elsewhere has shown only one forum member continually mentioning stratification. Even if there was slightly less salt saturation within brine that is above the salt level, I anticipate the fluid will become fully saturated when it is slowly drawn through the salt below it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I went looking for info. The first several minutes of
was very interesting to me.

That effect might be practically overcome in 168 hours.

With regard to stratification, prior searches on this forum and elsewhere has shown only one forum member continually mentioning stratification.
So I would not be twisting your words to say you don't believe in stratification in a brine tank, right?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I neglected to specify this is in reference to the relatively small quantity of brine within a brine tank which contains a quantity of solid salt, not ocean water.

Does the salt water from the Atlantic mix with Pacific water where the two oceans meet?

Reach4

Reaction score
I erred by not specifying this is in reference to the relatively small quantity of brine within a brine tank which contains a quantity of solid salt, not ocean water.
Would you unambiguously say that you think stratification in a softener brine tank is not practical problem?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I've already allowed for your theory in my comment regarding any potentially less saturated brine above the salt level having opportunity to become fully saturated as it is slowly drawn through the salt below.

The common calculation that 1-gallon water will dissolve 3 lbs of sodium chloride is actually a 'close enough' amount since there is no compensation factor employed for brine temperature. At 60° water temperature, less than 2.68 lbs will be actually dissolved, but if the water temperature further increases in the brine tank before regeneration occurs, slightly more salt will then be dissolved. If the brine temperature cools, then a small amount of salt will resolidify and the brine saturation will be slightly less. Whether saturated with <2.64, 2.68, 2.72 or >2.74 lbs per gallon, each saturation amount is considered as 3 lbs/gallon when programming the softener.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/53

Reach4

Reaction score
I've already allowed for your theory in my comment regarding any potentially less saturated brine above the salt level having opportunity to become fully saturated as it is slowly drawn through the salt below.
Maybe my density is too great to understand unambiguously. My best interpretation at this point is that you may consider it an open question that "stratification in a softener brine tank is a practical problem".

We need a David Faber.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, ok, here is the simple 101 on it. Complete salt saturation may tanke a very long time, but 95% saturation happens very quickly. Since we already have many variables built into the programming (compensated hardness etc...) it is not critical at all. My recommendation, fill the salt tank all the way to the top, ignore for 6 months to a year. Refill all the way to the top, ignore for 6 months to a year... repeat, then clean the brine tank after 3-5 years. Add some resin sanitizer annually.

No reason to make this a complex process. If you have the room, put in a larger brine tank, refill and ignore for 2 years.. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks