Need help troubleshooting Bradford White Gas Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

spydorman

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MITW50L6EN12 Bradford White Thru the wall venting water heater.

I have been having some problems with it lighting to heat the water intermittently.

This unit has a glow plug, thermocouple and pilot light. When it calls for heat the flue blower comes on, the glow plug turns on which lights the pilot light and then the burner comes on.

It works fine for maybe a week or a month and then it will skip a beat and not light. When I go to check on it, I find the the blower motor is running, the pilot light is lit, but no burner on. If I unplug the unit and plug it back in, it will then cycle the right way and the burner will light. It may work ok for a few days, a week or a month.

Last time this happened I replaced the glow plug and thermocouple set with new ones. It lasted about a month without the problem, but it started up again yesterday.

Not sure which to try next. I know some of the other parts for this unit are a separate thermostat, a water heater pressure switch that closes when the proper air flow is achieved, a high limit thermostat, and the gas control valve.

Any ideas on why this is happening and which part I should try next?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Carl

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably have a defective pressure switch (it has 2 wires connected to it), or a bad vacuum hose that leaks air.

But between you and me, your WH is too old for repairs, it's 15 years old. Don't let it go on social security, start saving for a new WH now.

spydorman

Reaction score
"Why would I replace it when it's still working". Guess I have turned into my parents. I'll try the pressure switch. If it doesn't solve I guess I'll bite the bullet and look at getting a new one. Spending around a grand for a hot water tank is not too appealing to me. My dad used to have a hardware store and I remember people moaning about spending less than $100 on one.

Thanks much for the advice.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Part of the rationale for not spending a lot on an older WH is that they inevitably leak. You could spend time and money fixing the current problem only to have the unit start leaking a month from now, on a weekend, when you have company staying at your house.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Why would I replace it when it's still working". Guess I have turned into my parents.

Haha, you have turned into your parents.
The simple answer: you don't throw good money on old machine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks