need help identifying a tool

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by r_2016, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. r_2016

    r_2016 New Member

    May 25, 2007
    Hi, I work in the electrical field with indicator panels that use series of light bulbs to make numbers, kind of what you might see at a baseball game. A coworker of mine has a tool that he uses to remove light bulbs where the globe has broken out and there is just the base in the socket. The tool looks like a pair of pliers but when you squeeze the handle the tip spreads apart instead of clamping. Does onyone know what this tool is?
  2. Mikey

    Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

    Nov 8, 2005
    Hansville, Washington
    It's a Broken Light Bulb Removal tool.

    Never seen one of those, but there are a number of hand tools designed that way -- circlip spreader tool comes to mind:

    circlip tool.gif

    While rummaging around the Web, I found a number of people recommending a potato as a fine broken light bulb removal tool. Just push the (raw) potato into the remains of the bulb base and twist.

    Removing the bulb is made easier if, in the first place, you squirt a lubricant on the bulb base before screwing it in. I use a spray designed for lubricating aluminum, but WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil work pretty well.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Similar Threads: need help
Forum Title Date
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Help Needed with 3 way switch wiring Jul 26, 2017
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Need GFCI help Jul 2, 2017
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Need help wiring ceiling fan! Feb 15, 2017
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Lost one leg of power need help. Aug 4, 2016
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog NEED HELP!!! Having problems with dryer/amps to dryer I think.... Feb 12, 2016

Share This Page