Navien vs Rinnai?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramias

Reaction score
So in doing some other research, I've decided it may be time to proactively replace my 9 year old AO Smith gas 75 or 80 gallon tank.

No problems with it that I know of (though this is the 2nd tank in a 13 year old home) but to my knowledge no service has been done on it, and with a recently-finished basement, why gamble against time?

Price difference between replacing it with a similar tank vs tankless is around $2k.

So in doing some research on Tankless, I'm looking at the Navien NPE-240A which I like due to its reserve tank. Not sure if I'd do anything for the recirc system (can that just be left disabled?). Or I am looking at the Rinnai RUC98i.

Either will be professionally installed by the dealer. Upgrading gas is not an issue (can easily be done, and is required for the Rinnai estimate I got anyway).

Any pros/cons of the Navien vs Rinnai?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Tankless needs more maintenance, but it does save space. I suspect the life is less on average, but that is just a feeling. I don't have a tankless, and I expect my tank water heater to last over 20 years (most people expect about 12). Governement expects about 2o for a tankless and 12 for a conventional. http://energy.gov/energysaver/tankless-or-demand-type-water-heaters I am skeptical. Maybe your boss wrote that page and you have respect for the methods:rolleyes:... Maybe the deal is that many parts of a tankless are more replaceable, whereas few plumbers repair a gas conventional water heater. I suspect that a significant repair of a tankless is probably about the same price as a new conventional water heater. How long did your A O Smith water heater last?

Note that for each, there are terms in the warranty that will void the warranty. If I remember correctly, a hardness over 7 will void the Rinnai warranty. For each one you consider, take the time to understand the warranty terms.

For a more practical estimate, see if you can price a 10 year service contract for conventional vs tankless heater. I have not attempted that, but I am thinking that could be based more on fact than wishful thinking.

I am not a pro. My expectations are based on reading and very limited experience.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Rinnai is the world's largest manufacturer of gas-fired appliances with well evolved designs, a good reputation for quality, good installer training, and a good support network.

Navien has more spotty record for quality & support. If you're comfortable with potentially having to debug their stuff they offer a feature-rich value, but it's worth getting a handle on just how much local support there is for them, and where the nearest distributor is located. They don't seem to control who installs their equipment nearly as much as some of the other tankless & boiler companies. Personally I'd be comfortable going with with Navien if I was comfortable the competence & training of the installer, understanding that if there are any manufacturing defects I may have to wait to get the problems fully rectified. YMMV.

If your house is heated with a hydronic boiler you may get more satisfactory hot water service & total efficiency out of installing an indirect tank than with a tankless.

If you're going tankless thinking it will save money or fuel use, or will be have higher reliability, think again. If you're doing it to save space, that's a win.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks