Navien tankless heater releases excessive unburned gas during every start up

Users who are viewing this thread

svuk15

Reaction score
We had a Navien NPE-240S (nat gas) tankless water heater installed about one year ago and continue to smell unburned gas in our backyard coming from the exhaust vent of this unit. I would like to tell our story in hopes of getting some feedback from people experienced with tankless water heaters and possibly give a warning to people thinking of using a tankless water heater - specifically a Navien unit.

The long story...within weeks of the Navien install we smelled gas coming from the exhaust vent and error code E003. Roughly 1-2 per week we didn’t have hot water so I would look at the unit and see E003 error code. Resetting the unit would get the hot water working again. Told our general contractor and plumber who installed the unit about the problem and was told the unburned gas was coming from our main natural gas regulator on the side of the house. Clearly getting the run-around from these folks but was willing to undertake the journey to hopefully get things fixed. After more back and forth I called the natural gas utility to come check the gas smell. They used a gas detector to confirm it was coming from the tankless water heater and they also measured high CO from the exhaust.

From there our contractor and installer contacted Navien and the supplier to get support. It took a couple months and multiple tries but eventually Navien sent a “rep” to look at the unit. He was honest in admitting he was only a sales rep but he had some tools to do basic testing. He contacted NAvien phone support and the installer was there too. They did not have a combustion analyzer but through the Navien phone support they checked a few things and made some minor adjustments to the gas valve settings. I was skeptical but they thought there was a good chance this would fix the gas smell and the error code. When I asked more questions about the gas smell the Navien rep said a couple interesting things: I should try running the exhaust vent up the house to vent above the roof; and ff I wasn’t satisfied with the smell of unburned gas in our yard then maybe a tankless heater was not suitable for me.

The problems remained. Still smelling unburned gas and E003 error code. Another month or two of phone calls and Navien finally sent a real technician to troubleshoot. The fix for the E003 was painfully simple. The control unit was set for the wrong elevation. A few dip switch changes and this was fixed. The error code has not appeared since. The technician also attached the combustion analyzer and adjusted settings to be in the middle of CO and excess O2 acceptable ranges. So good news however the smell of unburned gas remains - I think it improved after the technician adjustments but the whole family can still smell gas about 30 ft away from the exhaust vent when the unit starts up.

At this point we are essentially giving up. Our contractor did an overall good job on our house reno. Customer support from Navien is horrible - they will give you the run around and suggest ridiculous fixes like venting through the roof.

So do we have a bum unit or is this typical for a tankless heater or specifically Navien heaters?

Phog

Reaction score
Please let us know what comes of this new contact from Navien. A faint gas smell during startup can be normal for high efficiency gas appliances, in particular if you are within a few feet of the tube outlet and it's not windy. A strong smell all through the yard is perhaps not normal, however it's hard to say for any particular area what is going on in terms of prevailing air currents etc. Also "strong" smell means different things to different people, what I am describing is faint might seem strong to others. Ideally here you would want to have a tech with a combustible gas concentration meter measure the amount of natural gas in the exhaust tube during startup. The reading should be safely below the lower explosive concentration limit for NG in air. This may have already been done by the previous tech but not explained properly to you. (Note that the rep from the gas company was probably only using a combustible gas detector that indicates the presence of gas but not the concentration level, the presence of gas is different from whether there is a dangerous concentration level). It is possible for you to smell gas but have it not be a safety issue. If it turns out that things are within normal operating specifications and the smell is still there, then running the exhaust father away from where your outdoor living areas are is really the only option. Sorry you are having this problem.

jebernier

Reaction score
Same issue or I guess it's normal to have a faint smell of gas. I had the same unit (NPE-240S2) installed in basement and plumber vented to back yard. Every now and then I have a faint smell of gas. Would have been nice if he told me about this prior to venting to back yard. I would have preferred it to be vented through the roof if I had known this. But as usual plumber does the least amount of work possible!!

We had a Navien NPE-240S (nat gas) tankless water heater installed about one year ago and continue to smell unburned gas in our backyard coming from the exhaust vent of this unit. I would like to tell our story in hopes of getting some feedback from people experienced with tankless water heaters and possibly give a warning to people thinking of using a tankless water heater - specifically a Navien unit.

The long story...within weeks of the Navien install we smelled gas coming from the exhaust vent and error code E003. Roughly 1-2 per week we didn’t have hot water so I would look at the unit and see E003 error code. Resetting the unit would get the hot water working again. Told our general contractor and plumber who installed the unit about the problem and was told the unburned gas was coming from our main natural gas regulator on the side of the house. Clearly getting the run-around from these folks but was willing to undertake the journey to hopefully get things fixed. After more back and forth I called the natural gas utility to come check the gas smell. They used a gas detector to confirm it was coming from the tankless water heater and they also measured high CO from the exhaust.

From there our contractor and installer contacted Navien and the supplier to get support. It took a couple months and multiple tries but eventually Navien sent a “rep” to look at the unit. He was honest in admitting he was only a sales rep but he had some tools to do basic testing. He contacted NAvien phone support and the installer was there too. They did not have a combustion analyzer but through the Navien phone support they checked a few things and made some minor adjustments to the gas valve settings. I was skeptical but they thought there was a good chance this would fix the gas smell and the error code. When I asked more questions about the gas smell the Navien rep said a couple interesting things: I should try running the exhaust vent up the house to vent above the roof; and ff I wasn’t satisfied with the smell of unburned gas in our yard then maybe a tankless heater was not suitable for me.

The problems remained. Still smelling unburned gas and E003 error code. Another month or two of phone calls and Navien finally sent a real technician to troubleshoot. The fix for the E003 was painfully simple. The control unit was set for the wrong elevation. A few dip switch changes and this was fixed. The error code has not appeared since. The technician also attached the combustion analyzer and adjusted settings to be in the middle of CO and excess O2 acceptable ranges. So good news however the smell of unburned gas remains - I think it improved after the technician adjustments but the whole family can still smell gas about 30 ft away from the exhaust vent when the unit starts up.

At this point we are essentially giving up. Our contractor did an overall good job on our house reno. Customer support from Navien is horrible - they will give you the run around and suggest ridiculous fixes like venting through the roof.

So do we have a bum unit or is this typical for a tankless heater or specifically Navien heaters?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks