My Pressure Tank is Barking

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Newman

Reaction score
When we shower our pressure tank has started makeing a dog bark sound, (I don't know how else to describe it),as the pump kicks on. Also the pressure does not visibly drop on the guage and the pump runs for 15 seconds then shuts off for maybe 30 seconds then comes on again. I am wondering if maybe my pressure switch might be bad but the barking sound has me puzzled.

Wondering

Reaction score
It sounds like it is waterlogged. Have you checked the air in it? Cut off power, turn on water and drain tank,then with air gauge see how much air is inthe tank. It should have 2psi below where the pump kicks on at(30/50 switch should have 28psi air charge.) Then turn power on after air up the tank and see if that doesn't help.

The bladder could be bad,if so then you will need a new tank. Do you know how old it is?

You probably need a new gauge on the pump if this one isn't working.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
After I drained the tank I had less than 10 psi in it at the valve stem. Pumped it up to 28 with the bicycle pump, (yeah I.m sweatin), and it seems to be working normally. I just wonder how did the air pressure dissapate. I have not had to do this in the 10 years since we built the house. Could it be that it is at the end of it's useful life like I will be if I have to pump it up again with the bike pump?

R

Rancher

The bladder is probably leaking, I can't say, I heard so many bad thing about bladder tanks that I now use only bladderless tanks.

Kind of like not using Poly Butelene pipe ever again.

Good luck

Rancher

Wondering

Reaction score
So I guess you are running a 30/50 pressure switch?

I have noticed over the years they tend to lose a little air so since yours hasn't been checked in 10 years that is about right. OR it could be going bad. If it keeps leaking out quickly then you will know it needs to be replaced. The air tends to do like it does in a tire,drop a little in the winter and can rise a little in the heat of the summer. Hopefully you are OK now...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks