My Mom is Being Bamboozled by a Goober Plumber

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramblin Randy

Reaction score
I don't want to be here but Mom is in her 70's and has hired a junior plumber to do elaborate work on the family summer cabin down by the creek and things are a mess. Last winter the main water line into the cabin froze and needed repair. We only use the cabin 8 months out of the year and then winterize the whole deal.

I am in no way an expert, but Mr Junior Plumber has two huge strikes against him, he's using Sharkbites in the wrong place, and he's just making stuff up as he goes along to cover his mistakes:

1) He used Sharkbites on an exterior exposed feeder line that will see wild fluxuations in temps in the spring and fall. It has been my research that Sharkbites have value and they have their time and place but in the end they work via a rubber gasket that will in time eventually fail. The main house is 200 yards up hill and any leaks at the cabin could cause the main well pump up the hill to fail if undetected. ( yes we will insulate and wrap this pipe with heat tape but the inlet will still see a lot of temp swings over time )

2) He is making things up as he goes and this scares me. On the failed copper inlet line some prior bozo installed a copper grounding line and clamp onto the upper copper pipe. But the copper pipe does not touch the ground, as half way down it is attatched to a ball valve and below this valve is nothing but plastic pipe. I am not a plumber... but I did install my 2000 watt home solar power system and understand the need for solid grounding. Who ever installed the ground clamp originally, they were grounding the metal plumbing of the cabin to basically 2 feet of plastic pipe that connects underground to 200 yards of more underground plastic pipe. Am I crazy, does this clamp really have a purpose that I don't understand ??? So... since there was a clamp on the previous setup, our junior plumber bought a new one and added it to his efforts in matching glory. We've just grounded the cabin to a plastic pipe..!

Once he was done his repair / assembly... he informs me he messed up and installed the ball valve upside down and that the small drain cap was installed in the wrong manner. As we were walking down the hill to the cabin he begins comptemplating that it really didn't matter if the drain cap was above or below the ball valve. On his own... he decides all is fine and says quote "I guess it's really just preference which way it goes". Am I asking too much for a man doing a job to know which end is up or down...? Maybe it doesn't matter, but man I wish Mom would have hired a professional plumber to do the job.

So here I sit worrying that the whole sha-bang is going to explode 5 years from now. Are my cares justified...? I'm a person who likes to see a job done well

Thank you,
Ramblin Randy

"If a job is to begun, never leave it till it's done.
Be the labor great or small do it well or not at all".

cabin_juniorplumber.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Am I crazy, does this clamp really have a purpose that I don't understand ???
Can't tell. What does the other end of the wire connect to? A ground rod? Maybe I missed that in the description.

Ramblin Randy

Reaction score
Can't tell. What does the other end of the wire connect to? A ground rod? Maybe I missed that in the description.

The pictured ground clamp and wire were followed and it goes up into the cabin under the main breaker box along with 3 bunches of 12/3 wire. I did not remove the box plate upstairs to 100% id the final connection point but i'm going to say the wire is the breaker box ground. Note that the outside power disconnect box is clearly grounded to a earth copper rod.

Who ever wired the cabin about 20 years ago did a slap happy sloppy job with wires under the cabin drooping and junction boxes wide open. That issue at least has been fixed.

Reach4

Reaction score
The pictured ground clamp and wire were followed and it goes up into the cabin under the main breaker box along with 3 bunches of 12/3 wire. I did not remove the box plate upstairs to 100% id the final connection point but i'm going to say the wire is the breaker box ground. Note that the outside power disconnect box is clearly grounded to a earth copper rod.
Breaker box needs ground rods. In the old days, metal plumbing was acceptable for that, but no longer. I expect that wire predates the new work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your unhappy with his work and feel he is incopetant good enough reason to never call him back

I saw the ground Im not electrition I dont know who installed the ground.

Ramblin Randy

Reaction score
Breaker box needs ground rods. In the old days, metal plumbing was acceptable for that, but no longer.

Did I mention our Jr Plumber also does electrical. He crawled all under the cabin tacking the hanging wires to the underside of the structure and he closed up the junction boxes. A step forward. But somewhere in all that effort you would think he would notice that the cabin's small electrical system is sitting there ungrounded.

WHAT MAY I ASK ARE THE DANGERS OF NOT GROUNDING THE BREAKERBOX ? Fire ? Electrical shock while our grandkids are taking a soak in the bathtub ? As it stands the electrical box is now grounded/connected to the copper plumbing of both sinks, water heater, washing machine and of course that large water holding bath tub.

I'M CONCERNED.

Ramblin Randy

Reaction score
your unhappy with his work and feel he is incopetant good enough reason to never call him back

That's exactly how I feel Jeff. But I'm just the Son and my mother has the final say. Our repair man has done some really good interior wood and wall work on another job... but everyone needs to know when to say they are not qualified and let a pro step in.

I so appreciate the education from the membership here...!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks