Modifying existing pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

altadata

Reaction score
Not to imply the the US is smarter or better than Canada, but there are reasons our vent sizes are larger. Perhaps the Canadian codes don't require it at this time, but I would be surprised if at some future date they will. Why not go with the larger size since it will be easy to do now and the only expense will be the larger pipe. Same with the washer drain. We get calls for help on a fairly regular basis from people who are trying to use their old 1-1/2" washer drain with a new washer and are experiencing flooding.

Why not? In my case the answer is because the pipe that will be feeding the air into this 2" vent pipe is a 1.5' anyway ( I mean the pipe coming from upstairs that I will tie into venting all these fixtures in the basement is a 1.5" ). Is still a good idea to use a 2" pipe?

altadata

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The weekend is approaching and I plan to do this project this weekend.

I need 3 answers - if you could shed some light I appreaciate it:

1) I can put a 2" vent pipe for the toilet, and then put a reducer 2" to 1.5" and then connect to the 1.5" vent pipe at the top of the ceiling - but only if this is going to make the toilet function better. Can someone please let me know if in this case the toilet would function better ( vent pipe near the toilet is 2" but then it is reduced to 1.5" at the top ).

2) When using the repair coupling, if I have a small gap between the pipes being connected, can I insert a small section of the pipe like in the image? Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

3) When using the repair coupling are you not supposed to use any glue ( PVC cement)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 244

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drawing

Your drawing seems to be proper, assuming you actually install the piping properly, but it also seems more complex than necessary, which can only be determined by a picture, or visit to the actual site.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
1. Keep it 2" I don't see how reducing a vent will make the drain better.
2. I think that may be overkill although I see your logic.
3. What type of coupling¿ If it's a fernco style then no glue is needed. Just supposed to tighten to 60 lbs torque. They make a wrench specific for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks