Main floor laundry plumbing and venting

Users who are viewing this thread

119jpj911

Reaction score
I am adding main floor laundry to my house and am stuck on how to plumb it. My main floor consists of of a full bathroom, a powder room and a kitchen.

The basement washer drains to a stand pipe at the floor but is not the lowest drain in the system. This is not directly vented but put in by a plumber a few years back and was a replacement for draining to a floor drain.

On my main level, I would like to put the stand pipe in the wall and connect to an existing vent in the attic. The existing vent is for the full bath on the main level and also the basement full bath.

The main waste pipe trunk is directly beneath where the second floor washer would be and the basement washer is below that. The main waste pipe travels laterally about twenty feet across the basement with the proposed main floor laundry being in the center of it.

My questions is with the main floor stand pipe, can this drain to the main waste trunk in the basement or should I bring it all the way to the floor where the other 2” stand pipe is for the basement washer? Am I alright connecting this to the vent in the attic as well?

119jpj911

Reaction score
3CDC54E0-A13A-4FB4-8CE8-FFD9022FF815.jpeg

this is what I have.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
At one point you refer to "second floor", but the house just has the basement and the main level, right? So second floor = main level?

In your drawing, you don't show how the kitchen sink is vented. Also, on the left, the vent from the downstairs bathroom hopefully rises up and connects to the vent for the main floor full bath higher up, at least 6" above the sink flood rim.

But the changes for the "what you would like to do" drawing are the right idea. Your standpipe drain should be 2", and the vent can be 1-1/2". And you probably want to remove the basement standpipe, as it's not properly vented. If you want to keep it, you'll need to add a vent takeoff within 8' of the trap (assuming the drain is properly sized at 2", and South Dakota is on the IPC as up.codes says), and run that vent up to the attic, possibly connecting to an existing or new vent on the main level, again at least 6" above the flood rim of the fixtures served by the vents being combined.

Cheers, Wayne

119jpj911

Reaction score
The house is a rambler, main floor and basement. This is a 1958 house so the kitchen sink isn’t vented now, nor do I believe it ever was and it works alright along with a dishwasher draining to it.

I want to keep the basement laundry as well.

AB299844-B0F4-4FFC-920D-C7713DCE27A5.jpeg
AB299844-B0F4-4FFC-920D-C7713DCE27A5.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you're on the IPC, one option for improving the venting on the existing work is to use AAVs. One under the kitchen sink, and one on the laundry standpipe (I assume that piping is exposed in the basement).

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks pretty clean for 1958 und there not a bunch of old pipe and junk hanging. We spend a lot of time on here arguing code and how systems will perform and take a look under there and you got no problems. you ever get a stink out of the bath tub? probebly not but its improperly vented , no vent on washer, or kitchen? are you connecting vents together under the floor as well?
I dont anticepate probems or violations with your new washer hookups but I think your DWV system is a bit off. dont want to cause you extra work if your happy with operation.

119jpj911

Reaction score
The tub doesn’t drain so well and I figured it was partly due to all the bends in the pipe. Doesn’t ever smell though.

Neither the kitchen or the basement washer stand pipe are vented. I planned on putting an AAV in the kitchen though just haven’t got to it!

I have not and do not plan to connect any vents in the basement, only the one in the attic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks