Loose utility sink drain connection to stub

Users who are viewing this thread

velosnow

Reaction score
Hi guys, love the forum been very useful so thanks in advance for any help!

We’re doing a mini-reno of sorts and our laundry room has a fantastic 1960’s aqua green utility sink that we’ve decided to keep around. I changed out the worn out gate valves just fine but the sink drain is causing me issues.

Basically the stub out for the metal drain seems rounded/worn out since my new 1.5” pipe won’t properly fit in. I’ve tried both metal and plastic and they each leave at least a 1/32” of play all around the connection and leak when I test it. No matter what compression nut/gasket combo I’ve tried it leaks.

So what are the tips/tricks or remedies I can do to fix this? I do have direct access to the plumbing thanks to a removable panel from the garage but would rather not tear into that if I don’t have to. The 90 coming out is super close to a stud and don’t look like fun, already played that game in my bathroom. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest a photo. Your description may not paint the picture that you see.

velosnow

Reaction score
Unfortunately I’m traveling for the next 6 days or so and I didn’t think to get a ‘good’ pic when I left. But here a couple of general ones of the area. The back side of the drain is circled in blue. At this point if there isn’t some method to get a drain to properly fit I’m thinking of cutting the horizontal copper and using a coupling with new pieces to make it work.

Attachments

• F095A589-4731-431C-845A-896CA5B003E2.jpeg
    F095A589-4731-431C-845A-896CA5B003E2.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 483AC290-37D5-44A6-9066-4E9916BE45C4.jpeg
    483AC290-37D5-44A6-9066-4E9916BE45C4.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 171

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clean the threads on the stub out with a wire brush and apply a little pipe dope and try again, the nut may be binding up and feel like it's threaded all the way on but its not. Also the beveled shaped nylon slip joint washers work best for that situation. just a guess, I can't see it from my house.

Last edited:

velosnow

Reaction score
Clean the threads on the stub out with a wire brush and apply a little pipe dope and try again, the nut may be binding up and feel like it's threaded all the way on but its not. Also the beveled shaped nylon slip joint washers work best for that situation. just a guess, I can't see it from my house.

I’ll give it a shot when I get home Wednesday, slip joint washer hasn’t helped so far but I kind of think the threads could use some cleaning and perhaps a fresh nut too.

Theoretically, should there be much play between the two connections? Most of my limited experience with this stuff is either brand new connections or seemingly solid existing connections that go together with ease.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
What your describing normally happens when the nut isn't threaded all the way on, unless your pipes are damaged.

Attachments

• 71mO6Bg2XlL._SX425_.jpg
    71mO6Bg2XlL._SX425_.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 150
  • channellock-B00004SBCU-440-profile-lg.jpg
    channellock-B00004SBCU-440-profile-lg.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 144
  • tubular-poly-slip-joint-washer-1-1-2inch.jpg
    tubular-poly-slip-joint-washer-1-1-2inch.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 151
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks