Lightning & now no water - pump control box from hell replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Williams

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We had some lightning storms and then no water. I checked and there is power at the control box but I just hear it buzzing but it may have always done that. Someone local said replace the Franklin control box 2801054915 first, there was a delta lightning suppressor on the box. which I have removed in case it was blown.

Of course this all happens friday at 7pm and now we are stuck. I got to fwebb and it sucks that no one in NH seems to have a genuine franklin control box for a 1/2hp pump in stock so they give me a compatible and charge be 2x the price on the web.

i install it, and it just clicks over and over and sounds terrible. but the wiring inside looks totally different. i saw a post that talked about a Moeller control box and the guy said his was wired wrong and he changed it and it worked. I am guessing it's not wrong but different, I have attached a pic of both boxes. Before I get stuck paying $4k for a pump I would just like to be sure it's not the control box. I can't follow this wiring at all since the relay is df=ifferent. i am really desperate and super frustrated that all the old parts in the world are gone and just crappy replacements. maybe i am in idiot but if you can help I would really appreciate it.

IMG_0608 copy.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
They wire exactly the same.
Power on the right termials L1to L1 ,L2 to L2
Motor on the left three
B to B comm to comm start to start
Take a pic of the old box and wiring if the wires don't match the colors on the diagram mark each wire with a marker 1- 5 so they don't get crossed

Chris Williams

Reaction score
They wire exactly the same.
Power on the right termials L1to L1 ,L2 to L2
Motor on the left three
B to B comm to comm start to start
Take a pic of the old box and wiring if the wires don't match the colors on the diagram mark each wire with a marker 1- 5 so they don't get crossed
Ok yes I could see the end terminals matched but the wire after that totally differently. The cap goes direct to L1 on the old one but though the relay on the other. So maybe it is just a direct swap but internally done differently. I am thinking my pump must be shot then. Doesn't look like the delta lightning arrestor did much for me.

Reach4

Reaction score
On the other part, the part not in the photos, take these resistance measurements

Set your multimeter to its lowest resistance (Ohms) scale. Record these three resistance measurements.
Red to Black
Red to Yellow
Yellow to Black

Switch the mutlimeter to your lowest-ohms setting. Measure these resistances:
Yellow to ground
Red to ground
Black to ground.
Record the lowest resistance observed for those 3.

Fitter30

Reaction score
At 300 million Volts and about 30,000 Amps lightning strike. Nothing is going to protect any electric device with a close or a direct hit. Lose all your electronics, fridge and ac If not consider yourself lucky.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Glad you are back in water. Lightening can be a sjhoihddoiUGU!!! But many times the lightening striking about the same time the pump goes out is a coincidence. Most pumps are destroyed from cycling on and off too much. Inspect the old motor. Lightening will usually blow a hole somewhere. Cycling will destroy the bearings and lock up the motor. Not much you can do about lightening, but a CSV will easily solve the most common problem of pump failure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks