Lifespan of supply lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Now that most supply lines to sinks and toilets are of the pre made stainless steel covered vinyl tube inside what’s the lifespan before they need to be replaced? Manufacturers say when they leak!! I’m on a well with max pressure of 65 psi no leaks but should I change them say 10 years of service? Do not want to encounter a flood when away from home. Three bathroom one kitchen new plumbing about 7years ago. Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now that most supply lines to sinks and toilets are of the pre made stainless steel covered vinyl tube inside what’s the lifespan before they need to be replaced? Manufacturers say when they leak!! I’m on a well with max pressure of 65 psi no leaks but should I change them say 10 years of service? Do not want to encounter a flood when away from home. Three bathroom one kitchen new plumbing about 7years ago. Thanks
They don't flood. They drip and get really stiff. That's when you change them.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

I had an account that every 11 years he replaced his 50 gallon water heater because he did not want to deal with a leak or be out of HW on a weekend. Personally I thought he could wait at least 15 years but he wanted peace of mind

The supply lines are cheap and easy enough to replace as a small drip unnoticed can cause damage.

Here is a expansion joint I replaced on a 52+ year old riser on a 27 story residential building

They waited for these joints to fail before replacing them and this one was located on the 14th floor

The floor went into the common hallway flooding adjacent apartments and cascading down to the 1st floor before the isolation valves were shut . The resulting damages were over 1/2 million dollars not including claims by each apartment dweller that submitted claims through their insurance carrier

The idiots in this Co-op have "break down" maintenance policy. Nothing replaced until it fails

In the past 32 years I replaced over 24 of these and always because of flooding

compensator.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
An engineering report stated these lines should be replaced every 40 years but the Co- op thinks having major floors is more cost effective

compensator1.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
By the way none of the other plumbing companies in the area would touch this job as they were concerned about the existing threads and liability involved..

compensator 2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks