Leechfield Pipe Type?

Users who are viewing this thread

elidine

Reaction score
What type of pipe should be used for a leechfield? I have read that some use 4'' thinwall pvc with 1/2'' holes, but other photos I've seen show a black pipe with "ridges" and smaller holes.

What is the best type, and where can I get some? Also, does it make a difference if it has that fabric on it or just gravel under the pipe?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I prefer plastic chambers to a pipe system. You get way more square feet of dispersal and it's more even throughout the field.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Like this picture below...

powts_inground_leaching03.jpg

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What type of pipe should be used for a leechfield? I have read that some use 4'' thinwall pvc with 1/2'' holes, but other photos I've seen show a black pipe with "ridges" and smaller holes.

What is the best type, and where can I get some? Also, does it make a difference if it has that fabric on it or just gravel under the pipe?

I’m not sure where you are, or what type of soil you have, but here in North Phoenix, we have to do a peculation test to determine what type, and how big the leach field needs to be.
I used the 4†white pipe with the holes, and I have four fingers coming out of a distribution box. I think I put in 18 inches of rock, then the pipe, and then straw on top of that. My system is 14 years old, but I do pour sour milk in it on kind of a regular basis and so far, (knock on wood) I have never had any problems with it.

Mike

elidine

Reaction score
I’m not sure where you are, or what type of soil you have, but here in North Phoenix, we have to do a peculation test to determine what type, and how big the leach field needs to be.
I used the 4†white pipe with the holes, and I have four fingers coming out of a distribution box. I think I put in 18 inches of rock, then the pipe, and then straw on top of that. My system is 14 years old, but I do pour sour milk in it on kind of a regular basis and so far, (knock on wood) I have never had any problems with it.

Mike

Thanks for the info! That may be what I will do. I am in florida, my yard is 100% sand, and draining is usually not a problem. The system that is in place is 50+ years old and has had a lot of bandaids put on it from previous owners over the years..... but the drainfield pipes have collapsed I think.

These are wonderful. We did a system using 16 of these units plus gravel. I did a rough calculation and figured it could hold 600 gallons of effluent ... no more worrying about the leach fields backing up:eek:

Do those pipes have bottoms or are they just half circles? Do you put rock underneath them or on top, or both? What about that fabric?

I went to lowes lastnight and I saw some of the pipes with holes in them, but none of them looked like these. Where can I find them?

Like this picture below...

powts_inground_leaching03.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You really need to check with your local building department.

I don't know of anyplace around here that will let you do the work you are talking about without some sort of approval process...

They usually want perc tests and distances to wells taken into consideration plus a few other things. Here they are very strict on the engineering as they are very concerned about excess nitrogen runoff in waterways.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods the state requires a septic design be submitted by a licensed septic installer then it get's stamped and inspected.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Septic install.

When I installed my septic system, (13 years ago) I didn’t need to have a licensed contractor do it, as I could do it as an “owner / builderâ€. Of course, when I flush the toilet the lights flicker, but after a while I got use to it…..just kidding.
I did have to turn in a set of plans for it, (based on the county’s specifications) and it was inspected. I got all of the specifications for what was required from the county. They had pictures and pie charts and every thing! LOL.

Mike

elidine

Reaction score
You really need to check with your local building department.

I don't know of anyplace around here that will let you do the work you are talking about without some sort of approval process...

They usually want perc tests and distances to wells taken into consideration plus a few other things. Here they are very strict on the engineering as they are very concerned about excess nitrogen runoff in waterways.

In my neck of the woods the state requires a septic design be submitted by a licensed septic installer then it get's stamped and inspected.

I realized I would have to get it inspected and turn in plans to the city for review. I never said anything that would lead anyone to think I was doing it "under the table". I was simply asking advice on pipe types and where they could be located.

On a side note, I have had the septic pumped and I was told (and I visually verified it was true) that my tank has no bottom. It was built back in the 50's and I was told that was common. Is it true that if something such as the drain field were to need replacing that you have to replace the entire system to bring all of it (the tank and the field) up to code, or would the tank still be granfathered in?

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I realized I would have to get it inspected and turn in plans to the city for review. I never said anything that would lead anyone to think I was doing it "under the table". I was simply asking advice on pipe types and where they could be located.

On a side note, I have had the septic pumped and I was told (and I visually verified it was true) that my tank has no bottom. It was built back in the 50's and I was told that was common. Is it true that if something such as the drain field were to need replacing that you have to replace the entire system to bring all of it (the tank and the field) up to code, or would the tank still be granfathered in?

Speaking for myself, (and maybe the others too) I was not insinuating that you were trying to get away with something by, “doing it under the table†There is just a lot of people that don’t know that the install / improvement to a septic system requires a permit. A lot of people hate getting a permit in general because of the hassle, and money that is involved, but I think getting a permit is just a way that someone else, (the inspector) can make sure nothing is over –looked, and it is done correctly the first time…and there is nothing wrong with that!
I’m not a septic system expert, but I would think that having a septic tank, without a bottom in it, (especially in sandy soil) would not be a good idea. I would think that the water would need to stay in the tank, for the bacteria to perform its job, and then shoot it into the leach field area.
You could probably call the permit department, (ours here, is the health department) and ask them about if your tank is grandfathered in. Usually, they are very helpful answer questions like that. We have some old homes up in the area where I live, that all they used was two 55 gallon drums!

Mike

elidine

Reaction score
Speaking for myself, (and maybe the others too) I was not insinuating that you were trying to get away with something by, “doing it under the table†There is just a lot of people that don’t know that the install / improvement to a septic system requires a permit. A lot of people hate getting a permit in general because of the hassle, and money that is involved, but I think getting a permit is just a way that someone else, (the inspector) can make sure nothing is over –looked, and it is done correctly the first time…and there is nothing wrong with that!
I’m not a septic system expert, but I would think that having a septic tank, without a bottom in it, (especially in sandy soil) would not be a good idea. I would think that the water would need to stay in the tank, for the bacteria to perform its job, and then shoot it into the leach field area.
You could probably call the permit department, (ours here, is the health department) and ask them about if your tank is grandfathered in. Usually, they are very helpful answer questions like that. We have some old homes up in the area where I live, that all they used was two 55 gallon drums!

Mike

Yeah, your post was helpful, it wasn't directed at you. :D

Well, after researching the permits and inspections needed, and then doing an estimate of the supplies I would need (pipes, fittings, rock, fabric, etc) and then renting a trench digger, I have opted to have a professional do it.

I was given an estimate of $3600 for a 900 gal tank and a new drainfield. (they will also crush and backfill the old one and remove the old leech lines)

I guess that's a good price. I know I could have done it myself, but I was worried about making any number of rookie mistakes and really messing something up.

So, to make room for the backhoe that will be ripping up my yard next week, I spent my sunday cutting down a dead tree that was about 2 stories tall that was less than 10 feet from my house.....

Let me tell you... hehe I almost killed myself 3 times, but, I got it down piece by piece. Once I had it down to 15ft I just cut it down. It fell right into the spot I wanted! Nothing fell on the house and there were no injuries... lol the wife was happy about that.

A tree service once offered to cut it down for $500 bucks, so I figure since I borrowed the chainsaw and since it was just me and the wife with no hired help, we just saved $500 bucks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Let me tell you... hehe I almost killed myself 3 times, but, I got it down piece by piece.

A tree service once offered to cut it down for $500 bucks, so I figure since I borrowed the chainsaw and since it was just me and the wife with no hired help, we just saved $500 bucks.

I would question the value of saving $500 when you almost kill yourself 3 times but what the heck....:eek:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would question the value of saving $500 when you almost kill yourself 3 times but what the heck....:eek:

Knowing the value of something only comes with age and experience...

Last edited:

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
All's well that ends well!

What's life if you don't take any chances! Now you can sell the firewood and maybe make $500.00. It will like savings $1000.00 on your septic tank job! LOL.

Mike

PS. If your wife increased your life insurance policy prior to you chopping down that tree, I’d be careful. Especially if she was the one that wanted you to try chopping it down! LOL!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm counting on out living my wife...
I want to cash in on her policy...
I can't say what I'm gonna do with the money cause she'd kill me!:D

Seriously, With My luck I don't like pushing the safe envelope...
It's probably just because I like my life...
And when I go I want to go!

Sitting in a wheelchair wearing a helmet and diapers just doesn't have much appeal to me... Hardly worth saving a day or, 2's pay.

smilesplat.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks