leaking copper fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

okii

Reaction score
Hello-

I have an existing copper Tee fitting that is leaking from one joint. The joint was put in by a plumber about 15 years ago when we remodeled our kitchen. The fitting is a 1"x 3/4"x 3/4" Tee. Access to the fitting is pretty difficult. I read some posts where it was suggested to re-solder a leaky joint by fluxing, heating with MAPP Gas, and then applying solder. I assume you are heating the fitting as is usually done. Would heating the fitting compromise the other two joints of the Tee? Would you reflux and solder all three joints to be safe?

The other option of course is to figure out a way to remove and replace the fitting.

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Copper fittings that leak must be completely disassembled, cleaned, refluxed, and re soldered. Once water has been in the line, you can not just add solder. Doesn't matter how long the joint has been in use. The fitting can be reused, but perhaps after 15 years, it is defective. A new fitting would be less work that cleaning the old one anyway. I will hazard a guess that you have no experience in sweating copper joints, and considering the access problems, you might want to consider a professional plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can sometimes resolder a fitting, if it is a "new connection" and there has not been water leaking from it. After 15 years the joint will be so oxidized that there is absolutely no chance the solder would seal it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks