Leak in pipe going thru foundation wall, what’s next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe D

Reaction score
Replaced main water valve yesterday and took off a ground clamp and of corse it created a pinhole leak.. fixed that and now a pinhole leak has occured in the wall. Its copper that was layed thru a steel sleeve and appears to be packed with hydrolic cement. Full blown beginner diy’r here.. any idea what would be the easiest way to remedy this? Was thinking about taking my rotary hammer and cutting the end on the inside off and outside and just hammering the inside of the pipe as far as i can to clear the cement. Or possibly making another hole and rerouting the line.

Attachments

• E2518290-18FA-455D-8990-1B79668C9E4D.jpeg
    E2518290-18FA-455D-8990-1B79668C9E4D.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 174

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok that sounds like a straight foward repair. Im assuming a fair amount of digging as well. basicaly cut on other side of wall coupling and new piece thru wall.

Joe D

Reaction score
Ok that sounds like a straight foward repair. Im assuming a fair amount of digging as well. basicaly cut on other side of wall coupling and new piece thru wall.

it’s what im thinking.. had plumber here and he quoted me “at least a grand”. He said he thinks its just ground water and to wait and see if it continues. Ive already called 811 to have my lines flagged for digging just in case. Gonna be labor intensive to move all that soil for sure. Hopefully it is just ground water.. but my stomach is saying otherwize, as it hardley rained last night.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Our meters are out at the curb (never freezes) and we can close valve at house to monitor flow if meter turns there is a leak. But you could close water off at curb remove meter and pressure test.
Since Im from So California Ive never seen a meter in a house first hand though Im totaly aware thats common in many places. I guess you got a curb stop out front down kinda deep 4 foot or so? You have your own tool or how did you turn it off?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tool is called a "curb key".
Right I got one but ours are 12 inches deep with the meter inside and channelocks usualy or a crescent works fine.
I know 3 000 miles away in the north its differant. What is it just a round 4 inch or 6 inch cover? How deep 4 foot 6 foot? Just wondering I dont get out much. ha ha. Like I said basements very rare here and even so meters arent in a basement that Ive ever seen here unlike other places.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea mines only 30 inch I guess mine weighs a ton too . Almost never use it (or carry it on truck) Customer just gave me a little 12 or 14 incher last week a cheapie but a space saver

Joe D

Reaction score
Yeah the water company came with a long sort of wrench and turned it off from the street.. prolly 6-8 foot deep.. stillll dripping.. what a nightmare

Reach4

Reaction score
it’s what im thinking.. had plumber here and he quoted me “at least a grand”. He said he thinks its just ground water and to wait and see if it continues. Ive already called 811 to have my lines flagged for digging just in case. Gonna be labor intensive to move all that soil for sure. Hopefully it is just ground water.. but my stomach is saying otherwize, as it hardley rained last night.
City water will have a detectable amount of chlorine.

Reach4

Reaction score
For low range testing, LAMOTTE 2963LR-G .25 ppm to 10 ppm chlorine
test sensitity, looks good. LAMOTTE 2979 is 0 to 5 ppm chlorine. (zoro and others)

I don't know which is more sensitive.

There are probably others.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Joe D whats the plan? Id probebly pump it up with air . listen and watch gage. sounds like Reach4 aprroach is a chlorine test on water drip. Good luck! Ill be hanging around

Reach4

Reaction score
Joe D whats the plan? Id probebly pump it up with air . listen and watch gage. sounds like Reach4 aprroach is a chlorine test on water drip. Good luck! Ill be hanging around
Are you thinking to turn off the water at the street, and pressurize the pipe with air? If it holds, you know it is ground water coming around the water pipe.

Joe D

Reaction score
Are you thinking to turn off the water at the street, and pressurize the pipe with air? If it holds, you know it is ground water coming around the water pipe.
Tested the leak water and it has chlorine. What a nightmare

Joe D

Reaction score
When i run the pipe inside should I use another pipe as a sleeve like polyethalene? Then what should i fill the sleeve pipe with ? Or should I just run it thru the steel pipe thats already in the wall? If so what should i use to fill in the gap between pipe and the steel pipe to keep rain water and bugs out?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Absoulutly protect copper from concrete or soil.
Ok so Next step? Water is off ? We use poly sleeve and water will follow the full length of pipe making hard to guess where leak is. Start digging and chase it down is one way . all good if your lucky. You never mentioned a complete new water service .
Also you havent mentioned how fast its leaking? Your not really asking for any help or providing info?
So Im just stabbing in the dark. so if water is off It would be pretty easy to put air in it might hear it

Joe D

Reaction score
Absoulutly protect copper from concrete or soil.
Ok so Next step? Water is off ? We use poly sleeve and water will follow the full length of pipe making hard to guess where leak is. Start digging and chase it down is one way . all good if your lucky. You never mentioned a complete new water service .
Also you havent mentioned how fast its leaking? Your not really asking for any help or providing info?
So Im just stabbing in the dark. so if water is off It would be pretty easy to put air in it might hear it

It wont be a full new service line, its just the pipe going thru the foundation wall. Its literally leaking a drop per 10-15 mins, very slow leak. Water is on until I can get everything together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks