Kitchen Sink Drain Outlet Question - Done correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Handyman J

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am looking for some feedback on what i recently did for my new kitchen sink. Below is a picture. Essentially, I have a slight slope off the outlet drain with 2 22degree elbows. This then leads to the trap. Ideally you want a straight shot from the trap to the outlet but I couldn't given that my new sink is lower and my tail pipe needs the dishwasher outlet.

Please see below picture. Its hard to tell but if you look towards the back, you see the slope.

Kitchen Drain.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't tell if it slopes or not. You can always shorten the tail piece or you might be able to find one with the dish washer connection closer to the top if that is in the way. If it is sloped, it looks pretty good to me. Are there any problems?

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
huge2.JPG

I lightened your picture a bit. It looks to be sloping the wrong way. You want the slope downward toward the wall to be about 1/4 inch per foot. Thus if the last plastic nut is 6 inches from the wall, the center of the nut height should be about 1/8 of an inch higher than where the pipe hits the wall.

Apply one of the cures that Smooky suggested. It looks to me as if the dishwasher hose is coming in at about the middle of the visible part of the tailpiece. If that is the case, I think you could saw 1/2 inch, or whatever it needs, off of the bottom of the tailpiece without problem.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Handyman J

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. No problems so far but I only installed it yesterday. I guess I don't want to change anything unless there can be an issue with a downward slope. In terms of shortening the tailpiece, I can but its not enough for there to be a slope towards the wall.

I can look at a new tailpiece with a higher dishwahser connection but again if there is no potential issues with this setup, I prefer not redoing it. I assume the water level in the trap is higher now with this setup bc of the slope....can that be a problem?

Thanks for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Downward is relative. To me, downward slope would imply that gravity takes the water toward the wall. Is that what you mean? I suspect not. You might want to try to describe things more clearly.

So if you are asking if there is a problem with the trap arm not being able to drain its water, I don't know what the consequences would be. It is not permitted, so I presume there is a good reason.

Having the inlet for the dishwasher lower than the sanitary tee in the wall can't be good. It looks to me as if there might be a couple of inches between the nut below the tailpiece and the dishwasher inlet. Are you saying that the dishwasher connection is not higher than the sanitary tee in the wall?

Maybe you could put your level horizontal from the sanitary tee to the tailpiece in a photo to better show the relative heights. Or maybe draw a sketch.

Reach4

Reaction score
Loop your dishwasher hose as high as practical under the counter surface to try to keep drain water from going backwards in the dishwasher hose.

6a00e550bbaeb3883401348551ef9e970c-200wi

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's pretty simple. Unless water in your area will run up hill, your setup won't work. Shorten the tail piece so that there is a slight slope downward to the drain. High loop the DW drain as shown.

Reach4

Reaction score
huge3.png

I added a couple of lines to your sketch.

Handyman J

Reaction score
Gary this setup is working. I have been using it for the last day with no issue. What I am curious to know is will it ever be a problem.

Thanks Reach4. I will take your recommendation with the dishwasher hose

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It's pretty simple. Unless water in your area will run up hill, your setup won't work.

It DOES NOT flow uphill. If flows into the trap until it is full UP TO the level of the opening in the wall, THEN it flows downhill. The water in the "uphill" portion ALWAYS stays there.

Handyman J

Reaction score
Yes I understand all. Is it a concern? It's more water trapped vs when it's a standard set up.

I'm looking for a tail piece with the dishwasher hose set at a higher location to allow me to go with a standard setup. No luck so far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks