Installing Dishwasher where non existed before, no disposal, air gap question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dar Dack

Reaction score
Air gaps not required by my local jurisdiction, just the high loop. No garbage disposal. Is there a good reason to go with an air gap instead?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most modern dishwashers have built in air gaps. The water enters the side of the dishwasher above the flood level of the dishwasher.

The airgap is designed to prevent any water that is sitting in the basin of the dishwasher from being siphoned back into your drinking water.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What an air gap does for most situations is prevent backup waste water from entering the appliance. If the airgap itself gets clogged, the drain water from the DW will still pump and have water drain inside the cabinets and floor. Using a tail piece with a DW connection, any backup will end up in the sink. Having a high loop is to prevent waste water from entering the DW.

Dar Dack

Reaction score
What an air gap does for most situations is prevent backup waste water from entering the appliance. If the airgap itself gets clogged, the drain water from the DW will still pump and have water drain inside the cabinets and floor. Using a tail piece with a DW connection, any backup will end up in the sink. Having a high loop is to prevent waste water from entering the DW.

So it's perfectly fine to just do the high loop and connect directly the DW to the DW connection on the tailpipe? I think i've just been reading too much before it's delivered and so many things about air gaps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks