Installing a permanent water pressure gauge: any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
I need to install an expansion tank at my home (did not have one when I purchased it) and while I'm doing that, I'd also like to permanently install a water pressure gauge.

I have a couple of questions for anyone that has done an installation of a water pressure gauge:

1. Any recommendations on a good brand and model? I've used a couple of hardware-store quality pressure gauges and they are pretty bad - not something I'd want to permanently install.

2. Does it matter if the gauge goes before or after the expansion tank?

3. I saw a video by a guy showing his water pressure gauge and he installed a tee with a ball valve before the pressure gauge. Is there any reason to install a ball valve to turn the gauge on/off? The only thing that I can think of is that maybe it is not ideal to have pressure on a lower-quality gauge at all times?

4. Anything not obvious about installing a pressure gauge that a non-pro DIYer should know?

Thanks for reading :)

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Any recommendations on a good brand and model? I've used a couple of hardware-store quality pressure gauges and they are pretty bad - not something I'd want to permanently install.
I am thinking Winters. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Temperature-Pressure-Gauges-864000

2. Does it matter if the gauge goes before or after the expansion tank?
No.
3. I saw a video by a guy showing his water pressure gauge and he installed a tee with a ball valve before the pressure gauge. Is there any reason to install a ball valve to turn the gauge on/off? The only thing that I can think of is that maybe it is not ideal to have pressure on a lower-quality gauge at all times?
Would let you change the gauge without turning off the water. Maybe there is another reason.

Anything not obvious about installing a pressure gauge that a non-pro DIYer should know?
I plan to go liquid filled for my well, not that my regular gauge jumps around. But I may go 4 inch, because I can.

For a well, you usually want a 0-100. For water heater after a check valve, the pressure could routinely rise to over 100, and when the tank starts going, expect 150 or so -- at which point the T&P valve should open. So I might go 0-160 or 0-200.

Do you have a softener?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks