Installing a basement shower stall

Users who are viewing this thread

audsp98

Reaction score
I have 2 pipes that were installed when my house was built. One is obviously a toilet pipe and the 2nd is a 2" pipe for a sink and shower hook up. My problem is that the builder did not put a trap in the floor for the 2" pipe and now I have to figure out how to put a trap under a shower stall.

My delimma is I'm trying to get around breaking up concrete to put the trap under the shower. So, what's the minimum distance I need to install a trap under a shower? My plan was to create a floor to set the shower on but I'm not sure how high to make the floor.

Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Normaly there is a stub out for the shower / tub because the plumber did not know where the shower drain and trap had to be located, it will be under the cement.

audsp98

Reaction score
If you're referring to the 2" pipe that is coming from the floor, there is no trap connected to it that I can tell. I've ran water down into the pipe and it all disappears. Meaning I can't see that the trap, if there was one, is holding the water. If there is another way to test for a trap please let me know. Otherwise I go back to my original question. How much do I need to build my floor up to give room for a trap under the shower without having to break up the concrete?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Strictly a guess, but I say probably 12" or more. That said, that would be a very poor alternative. It would be very "Mickey Mouse" and even for a basement shower, an eyesore. You are making too big of a deal out of breaking out concrete. Yes, it would take some effort, but it's the only right way to do this. I would suggest that before you make any decisions that you call in a professional plumber to evaluate the situtation and advise you on the best way to proceed and an estimate of the cost. It could be you could do part of the work and save some money.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will need to break up the floor to see whats up. Then call a plumber. OR call a plumber first and see what he says.

Prashster

Reaction score
Floor demo

Assuming there's no trap in there now, doing one below slab is not a big deal. I was in your boat and these guys guided me thru it. A tool rental ctr will have a good rotary hammer for $50/day. You can drill and chip out the hole with relative ease. Just be gentle around the below-slab portion of the drain, since you'll need to connect yr trap onto it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks