In ground drain repair

Users who are viewing this thread

IanD

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been looking at this forum for a while as a guest but finally I need to see if I can get help. I need to repair a 4 inch PVC pipe in the ground (damaged while digging) I have tried reparing it by removing the damaged section and replacing it with a new piece. I secured the new piece using rubber flex couplings (made by Fenco I believe). My concern is that if the inserted piece moves a bit when back filling it will leave a "lip" inside the pipe that will catch debris that comes down the pipe. Is this a concern or am I being overly cautious? The concern arises because even though the new pice is a tight fit between the ends of the in ground pipe I can still wiggle it inside the couplings and get it out of alignment. I thought of using cemented slip couplings but on a couple of test pieces I could not get them to joint easily because as I slide the coupling over the joint it pushes the solvent cement ahead of it and does not leave enough solvent in the coupling to completely weld. Is there some trick to using these slip repair couplings (the local plumbing supply place was totaly unhepful and said they should work just fine.
Thanks in advance

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian you have discovered the reason why many of us do not use slip couplings...

I would use a regular coupling on one side and a banded coupling like this on the other, or, 2 banded couplings... No Hub couplings are very similar and may be substituted...

proflex.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks