Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
cwhyu2 said:
Went to a call for toilet stoppage the landlord saaid fix it when Igot there
the place was so trashed I couldnt stand the smell then Ilooked in bathroom
they had beenusing the toilet for a week before telling LL .They said you have to clean it up.After a weeks usage of a non flushed toiletIrefuesed

mmm tastee!!

Lemme guess, Over the Rhine? Evendale? Northside? I pack heat when I cross the river.....it's bad over there. Baad bad bad.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep only for a reset. He didn't change out the flange nothing. A new wax ring yes, and a reset. He did not do anything else. I was surprised, but I was in no postion to argue the point. I chalked it up to experience. I think that was a tadbit high, yes. I learned. And, will never call him again. Yet, I still don't know why he could not had told me the price over the phone? Wrong or not Patrick, if he had, I do think I would had called someone else. I am just trying to make sense for you plumbers from a customers pt of view... this is our reality and sometimes, boy does it suck.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, Rugged there is Make a Wish for the terminally ill. They can get trips to anywhere they want, or anything they want. I work / volunteer for hospitals where we do somethings like grant people some wishes. Right now I am collecting hats for a boy who has the big c and wants to give other kids hats. I have an addy for anyone who wants to send a hat. We do all kinds of things Rugged, tv's, anything we can do. Not trying to be morbid, but granting people a little bit better of a life toward the end. You can't judge a book by its cover either, you would not believe who can be terminal, you would never guess by looking.

I know you do good things. I read what you write. It helps your business, too. You just donated 3 grand somewhere. I commend you for it.

One thing about health insurance it really is sticky. When your organs start to fail and you are not already insured, they will fail you, too.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I always give a written estimate before I do more than look at the job. I also write down that I need to look at the flange to make sure It is ok, and to inform the customer that it will cost more to fix the flange. Most of the time my written estimates are right on the money.

I will not give a price over the phone because people will lie to try and get a lower price.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It was hartwell But could be anywhere,this what we do.But there limits.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Cookie said:
He came and reset the toilet. I had 500 on me thinking that would be enough. Well, not so... He stood there at my diningroom table and wrote me out a bill for a reset of 850 bucks. I stood there and told him, " wow, 850 for only a reset??" ( nothing else was done)

Cookie, god love ya, but no plumber I know in his right mind charges that much to replace a closet ring.
Not unless you had substantial work to be done on the drainage.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
If they have a toothache, they find money for the dentist. Why should a plumber work for free, unless it is a situation requiring charitable intervention.
There are "free" clinics for a toothache, and for most other medical problems, yet I will say, FIND MONEY FOR THAT MY BUTT! Spend weeks in bed under a doctors care because you didnt have money for over the counter drugs to fight off the basic simple flu, and your basic desire for food, heat, and shelter came before your own health needs, and throughout this the insurance company laughed, and said "oh well, sorry 'bout your luck"!!! I was fighting other medical problems at the time, and my insurance was gone, so dont give me that crap! As for plumbers, or electricians, heating guys, or even car mechanics or the local butcher...find me a "free" clinic for any of that without going through 6 months of paperwork, and I'll donate my next check to them, and will french kiss your naked ass to boot! Charitable contributions...yea right! If anyone here is willing to do charitable contributions, and donate time and materials, or even time with materials at cost, send me a message, and I will see that you are on a list to recieve donations. And yes, there is such a list. Get hurt, and get in a support group, and see how many people really care, then you will have that info handed to you, though I promise you that it WILL without a doubt take the better part of a year to get your water, or electric, or heat fixed and back on! Sorry...very sore subject for me, especially after going through 3 years of medical problems, PLUS taking care of an elderly mother alone and on my own!

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a group in my area that will help needy people repair their homes free of charge if you can show that you are in poverty and cant afford the repair and it is an important one that needs to be done.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
1. When "everyone is sleeping" they are not using hot water so the pressure is not being thermally increased.
2. Look at the color of the screws on the thermal ECO. If any are loose it will overheat the unit, but the screws also usually discolor when that is the cause. Otherwise, it could have just been a glitch and won't happen again. If it has a functional cause, then it will happen again fairly quickly.
Sorry, but that water heater comes on when the tank cools down, no matter if theyre using hot water or not...or asleep or awake. The thermal expansion is actually worse when the family is asleep...tank cools off, water contracts, more water enters the tank to make up the diff, heater turns on, water expands more so since nobody awake to use it and relieve the pressure, so the relief valve opens slightly to expell that extra pint or two that might normally find its way out through a hand washing, shaving, or a tooth brushing even!

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass said:
There is a group in my area that will help needy people repair their homes free of charge if you can show that you are in poverty and cant afford the repair and it is an important one that needs to be done.
There are several here as well, but they seem to have a 6 to 9 month waiting list for even the most simple repair. My point was that in my state, they're several clinics where you can just walk in for same day service if you're sick, or even for a toothacke, as HJ said, yet if you dont have heat, or water, or electric, or even if you dont have a car to go for medical help, then good luck...fill out the form and we'll try to approve you! Oh well...why should anyone work for free...plumber, electrician, doctor, mechanic, or for that matter, even Jesus Christ himself? (Good thing he never thought that way, huh?) Seems that nothing else matters as long as somebody can make a buck or two. Sorry for the rant...just that comment sort of brought some things home to me that Ive actually been through myself.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
You are right on all accounts there Bikerboy. Health insurance is the most problematic thing in the US. I am still...working things out with them. I am on the phone alot with them. I found out through alot of strife that one thing that doesn't work and can even work against ya, is anger. So, I try to remain calm and keep my head at all times. Like I said in another post, there are 2 worlds. One for the fortunate well and lucky, and one for the sick and unlucky. Sometimes those worlds collide and misunderstanding causes a huge storm. It is unimaginable to think that sick people can be put in such a light where others come down even harder on them but there are those who do, and it is done out of ignorance. It is a raw nerve with me. One day at age 44 I was laughing while watching Seinfield with my husband and then the very next day I was hearing those dreaded words which catapulted me into the other world. At the same time, my husband passed away.

Now in those days, 2.5 years ago, if you walked into my home you might had seen take out boxes from the local Italian restaurant. My neighbors owned it and would send me over wedding soup, ( the only thing I could keep down) and would be kind enough to throw in a pizza for my kids, since I was too sick to cook.

Like I advise, wisely assume things, for things are sometimes never the way they look.

Sorry to hear about your problems, one thing, don't get hard over it, turn it around and do good for others having difficulties. The reason for the long wait, 6 to 9 months to get any kind of help is simply because their are more people who need help and less people that will help or contribute anything, money or sevices, or even share their own set of circumstances because they think it is better to be private, in turn most people are left feeling very alone, feeling like they are the only ones who has such a hard life.

Last edited:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I know you do good things. I read what you write. You just donated 3 grand somewhere. I commend you for it.

One thing about health insurance it really is sticky. When your organs start to fail and you are not already insured, they will fail you, too.
And I commend you as well Rugged. We reap what we sow!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
The possibility that a low income home I enter that has garbage all over and a wide screen TV is from the Make a Wish foundation is slim, very.
The possibility that they are products of mental illness or horrible childhoods is high, very.
We could compare the ideal to our judicial system, in theory we punish, but also "rehabilitate" criminals.
We hope that when they go behind bars that the thinking that got them in trouble in the first place will change, it usually doesn't, though there are glowing exceptions.
It would seem like our prisons amount to little more than a "thinktank" for criminal tendencies in a sad majority of cases.
I think Cookie touched my own thoughts, most mentally ill, criminally prone, or antisocial behavior is a product of misunderstanding.
Those who live a negative lifestyle don't understand they are, or they feel it's someone elses fault.
The exceptions are usually those who learn to see things beyond their own point of view.
Unfortunately a change in thinking like this is usually a result of a painful or traumatic event, not easily imposed by the suggestions of friends, family or anyone attempting to explain it to them.

Cookie

Reaction score
It might be slim from Make a Wish, but, Grumpy I belong to a group where we provide things like tv's, anything, even cable service to those who are very sick. It doesn't matter to us if they have garbage all over the place. I have literally shoveled my way through it.

If someone doesn't want to lower their prices, or do something for free, that is fine. No one is breaking another's arm. Yet, when a person who is sick or living on SS mentions it, one should not assume they are asking for a freebee. They are usually only overwhelmed by their set of circumstances and just talking, hoping they will be treated fairly.

Just adding, that all that is ever expected is niceness. I am afraid if I were a plumber, I would be pennliess and then, my business would probably fail, :) So, good thing I am just a want to be plumber.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm Talking "Trailer-Trash"--Not Sick People

The apartment behind me is a 2 bedroom with 2 young couples and 2 children living there. They are often out drinking, smoking, and partying late into the night. A month ago, there was a fight and they broke out one of the windows.

There has been jagged glass in that lower window ever since. That is extremely dangerous when you have young children who like to crawl through open windows.

In the intervening weeks, I've noticed two brand new dirt bikes parked by that broken window that weren't there before. They also keep the air-conditioning running 24/7 when all they need to do is open the other windows that aren't broken. It gets extremely cool here at night, but they'd rather pay a $200 electric bill each month.

I've contacted the landlord and the police, but noone seems to want to make them replace the jagged glass. When I used to manage apartments, we considered broken glass an emergency--period. We had to replace it immediately, even if it was in the middle of the night. If we were out of that size glass, we had to put in a board until the glass came. Then, we would backcharge the tenant.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I am afraid if I were a plumber, I would be pennliess and then, my business would probably fail, :) So, good thing I am just a wanneabee...

I don't think so. I started out trying to help out everyone who said they were broke or on SS. After they all lied and tried to cheat me, I've had to change how I deal with them. I need to eat too and pay my own bills, If I go under, it won't help anyone, it'll just hurt me.

Cookie

Reaction score
Verdeboy,

You might want to look into Social Services, I don't know. They might help getting the glass replaced.
How sad.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie said:
You might want to look into Social Services, I don't know...
How sad.

I'd hang myself before I'd work for the government in any capacity.

Nate R

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
I'd hang myself before I'd work for the government in any capacity.

I think she meant you may want to call SS to have them make sure the parents get the glass replaced.

I'm with Verdeboy: I've worked around and with tenants of rental properties. Some people aren't in good health and let you know that because they really are struggling. I can think of one tenant right now that's in exactly that situation. But for that 1, I can think of scores more who have a story every month the rent is late, who drink all the time and smoke but then say they have no money, etc. Why is it that tenants of places I manage have nicer cars and MUCH larger TVs than I do, or of even the owners of their properties? There's a lot of backwards thinking out there. And of course, their problems are always some one else's fault.

A lot of the people on rent assistance are like this. Not ALL, but a fair amount that I've run into. Why should you hold a job when the government pays all but $75 a month in your rent? All you need is a little food.

Giving people help based on income means people keep that income low on purpose sometimes.

It would be nice if programs like that would look at people on a case by case basis and only give people who really need the help any checks. Because there are many people really in need who don't get the help they deserve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks