Hydronic supply/return path.

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYluke

Reaction score
Good afternoon.
I have a question about a supply and return run to a section of baseboard I need to install. It's on the far side of a room and there are only two paths I can run the water to/from it.

1) In a exterior 2x4 wall for about 8'.
2) In the interior wall, but up, over, and down to get over a door.

I can not use dummy baseboard along the exterior wall and going under the door is not an option.
I know this isn't ideal but these are my only choices.
I do have each zone set up at the boiler so I can force water from the boiler through the zone and out into a hose to dump it before returning to the boiler and that has let me pressure bleed all the other zones in the past. I've never had to bleed anything on the 2nd or 3rd floor and this new section in on the 1st floor.
I'm leaning towards over the door. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Luke.

DewPoint

Reaction score
I guess you can’t use real baseboard along the outside wall, either, right?

My concerns would be (1) plumbing in an exterior wall or (2) if the interior wall were load bearing and I couldn’t get through, say, a 2x header, or other structural framing.
Edit: oh you’re not going into a second floor so strike the structural concerns. It’s still not fun going above doors.

DIYluke

Reaction score
Nope, I can't run anything along the inside of the exterior wall. Only way is in it.
As far as going over the door- the path is simple enough. Plenty of height along the sides and above the header. No sheetrock yet.
My concern wasn't with the installation, but with trapped air in the high spot over the door.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks