Hydro Jetting backup

Users who are viewing this thread

cboy802

Reaction score
Old house with old sewer main connected to City sewer system. Main floor toilet and shower drain were backing up. Called local plumber who came and snaked the sewer line. He was able to run the snake all the way to the city sewer twice. He used a camera while snaking and said the problem was a large volume of greasy sludge that snaking would not fix. He recommended hydro jetting which he did not do.
Called a company to do hydro jetting. Told the jetter about the problem and what the previous plumber had found. He set up and began jetting the line via the clean out access in the basement. As he was proceeding, thick raw sewage began backing up out of the cleanout. He captured 10+ gallons in buckets but after running out of buckets another 15-20 gallons ran out into the basement. He finally got through to the city line. He then called their water restoration service to come clean up the mess. They came and did a good job but charged us $1,500 for the clean-up. Two questions. Is a backup and overflow a known risk with hydro jetting ? Does the hydro jetter have any responsibility for cleaning up the mess?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I do a lot of water Jetting for decades and even wrote articles about it.

I also made a fortune snaking lines and each one complements the other

Ideally snaking with the proper cutters can clear most of the grease build up and Jetting is an amazing finishing tool to scour the lines to help restore full flow as originally designed

Without flow using a jetter is foolish as too many GPM will cause a flood.

Jetting is for soft stoppages such as soil and grease etc.

When confronted with sewer line INSIDE the structure I like to use one of my Jetters that has 4000 PSI and around 5 GPM so as not to cause a flood inside the structure and keep a good WET DRY vacuum as a stand by

When doing large line OUTSIDE a building I rather use more GPM and around 2500 PSI to help remove the grease ,soil down stream

There is always the possibility of back flushing when jetting and not knowing if the plumber just used an undersized cutting tool or how much of an opening he created it would be hard pressed to say someone was neglectful

Lines could be slightly back pitched, the jetter had too many GPM,

A video inspection after the jetting is a great idea as now the lines should be clear and any defects are more readily seen

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks