Hunter PGP heads. Removing guts without decapitating.

Users who are viewing this thread

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
So this may sound like a stupid question to you seasoned irrigation folks but here it is anyway. I have a 1/3 acre lot with a ton (not an actual ton but many) of Hunter PGP heads. Most if not all of them are leaking like the Titanic and need the seal replaced. In trying to remove the guts of the head what is the best way to hold the base firmly to unscrew the top without completely removing the head? Some are stuck on pretty well. I don't particularly want to dig up all the heads just to replace the seals.

I'm not sure if there is some technique or is it just a matter of partially digging up the head and going to work with two pair of channel locks?

As they say "work smarter not harder".

Thanks for all replies and yes I searched for an answer in existing posts but what to search for was unclear.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I do not know if you have taken care of this. Today was the first time I noticed this post and these Hunters are a real bear trying to take them apart from the top. I generally find that they stop rotating before the riser seals wears out. When I tried to take them apart I usually destroy them with a pair of channel locks trying to get a grip on them. I always found to replace them is easier and faster.

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/...NQM2MG9Nc9Ep5g3RiMhRitdb6LoFlfSMaAu33EALw_wcB

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
I do not know if you have taken care of this. Today was the first time I noticed this post and these Hunters are a real bear trying to take them apart from the top. I generally find that they stop rotating before the riser seals wears out. When I tried to take them apart I usually destroy them with a pair of channel locks trying to get a grip on them. I always found to replace them is easier and faster.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I found out the hard way they are VERY hard to get apart. I did replace 6 with some new heads I had. I was able to get them apart with a great deal of struggle and replace the seals. Just have to find the time to put them back and I'll keep the new heads as spares. I now realize it would have been impossible to do in the ground as it was near impossible out of the ground. Again, thanks for the reply.

DetRack

Reaction score
It's even older now, but I will add my suggestion just in case someone else still needs support.

There is an easy way to unscrew the can of a PGP in the ground. Use a metal hammer and a broad chisel, give the cap repeated slight hits from the right side until it turns counterclockwise.

It sound like a weapon of mass destruction, but the cap responds very well to slight hits and comes off very easily this way. I suggest one layer of ptfe tape for remounting. This is faster and easier than using a wrench.

i must admit, though, that I would replace them with I20 or a Rain Bird 5004 as the original PGP is usually older than 10 years and the plastic will crack in the next 5 years or so.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks