How to tie washer drain into horizontal drain from sink

Users who are viewing this thread

econjon

Reaction score
I would like to move my washer to a wall that has a 2" drain running horizontally (from laundry sink/vent approx 3' away). The drain line is approx 8" above ff. I am wondering if it is ok to use sink vent stack? And if so, what fitting should I use to tie the p trap arm in?

The blue tape to the left is where vent stack is.

Attachments

• IMG_1264 copy.jpg
    IMG_1264 copy.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

econjon

Reaction score
I was wrongly under the impression that it would be ok as a wet vent. But is the new vent to avoid the washer siphoning the sink trap? The drain is sloped down to right if that makes a difference.

I’d like to avoid pulling drywall behind the counter to tie in a new vent. Are AAV ok for a washer?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're in California, where the state plumbing code is based on the UPC. AAVs are not allowed. And wet venting is only for bathroom groups, not for laundry sinks or clothes washers.

So what you likely want to do is pull off the drywall to the right of the counter to add a laundry box. The standpipe can go to a trap above the horizontal drain (max 18" AFF), then to a san-tee for venting. The bottom outlet of the san-tee (drain) will join the horizontal drain using a combo.

The top outlet of the san-tee (vent) will rise to at least 6" above the standpipe, then it can go to the left to join the sink vent. You might be able to do it within the vertical space between the upper and lower cabinets. But I think you might be better off taking down the one upper cabinet (likely easy to do) and running the vent higher up.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks