PROBLEM SOLVED: How to remove and clean part of American Standard bathroom sink pull-down faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
This American Standard bathroom sink faucet with pull-out hose has worked fine for two decades. Now the water coming through the handheld part is restricted, apparently by the filter where it attaches to the hose.
I was easily able to unscrew and clean the filter at the end, but can't figure how to remove and clean the filter (?) where the handheld attaches to the hose. It looks like a (formerly) white washer holding in a blue thingy. Help?
Or is the answer to buy a new faucet?

Last edited:

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
Do you have any photos or model numbers?
This is American Standard, no model number (long discontinued) but here is a closeup of the spout, removed from the hose. It was simple to screw off and clean the filter at the business end (top of photo), but I can't figure out how to remove/clean any filter at the end that attaches to the hose (lower right, off-white and blue).
Purpose: If I can clean that end, then maybe the faucet will return to its original functioning. (Or is there possibly another source of semi-restricted flow?) If not fixable, I'll buy a new faucet.

LOVE911.jpg

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
SOLUTION: To remove the end attached to the hose, I reattached the above part and then tried to pull it out along with the hose. Lo and behold, the plastic/chrome-colored cover yanked off in my hand, and the black plastic working parts remained attached to the hose. I cleaned all the screens, etc., and still the water flow is not great, but normal enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks