how to clean CI baseboard and test joints

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I am ready to start adding a separate zone into my existing one zone system now. I have bought some old (more than 20 yrs old) and new (not used) Weil-McLain CI Snug Baseboards.

I found there are some rust dust inside the baseboard. How can I clean them out before connect them? Use Shop-Vac? how about air-compressor? and how to do it effectively?

I have no problem on solder in the past. But this time I plan to test all joints before I shutdown the system and connect the new addition in. how can I test the new addition without interrupt the existing heating? Use my nailer air-compressor? how?

The Air Vent location is on the top close to the end by design. I don't think that is a good place to release air because some water will come out with air and it is hard to catch water there. I am thinking put the Air Vent on the upper side outlet. Is this a valid change?

thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,007

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is the better spot for the air vent because it puts it out of the way. Test with your aircompressor connected to a bushing in the end of one of the radiators. They are cast iron so the will rust when they get water in them, but it is not something to worry about unless it is lying loose, in which case the air compressor will blow it out.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Use a 3/4 x 1/8 bushing in the spot you are pointing to. That will keep in hidden inside the end cap. Be sure to clean the ports that the push nipples go into. We use to use emery paper then clean it up with kerosene.

John