How quickly can new resin foul up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rona1d

Reaction score
I replaced the resin in my softener a month ago. Everything was fine until a few days ago where the same problems I had crept back up. Standing water in a toilet bowl would turn yellow which tells me it is clear water iron. I sprinkled some iron out powder into the bowl and the water in the bowl cleared up. Is it possible that my brand new resin already fouled? My unit was backwashing every 1600 gallons. I did not add res care or anything to the brine well so it has only been using salt.

Bannerman

Reaction score
In addition to Ditttohead's comment, we also don't know the capacity of your AIO iron filter and softener, nor do we know the settings programmed for each.

Rona1d

Reaction score
alright so less than two years ago my hot water heater in the house i just bought rusted out. took it back to home depot and was told it was less than 2 years old too. took the anode out today and replaced with with a zinc magnesium one. the rod i took out is almost gone. so why am i going through anode rods in less than 2 years? now i am thinking that it isnt my resin that is the problem, it is the lack of an anode rod causing my pipes to corrode into my water

Reach4

Reaction score
Your lab water test will have a number called corrosivity. That can give a good indication.

The softener will increase the corrosivity too.

Do you have a sulfur smell with your water?

Rona1d

Reaction score
Your lab water test will have a number called corrosivity. That can give a good indication.

The softener will increase the corrosivity too.

Do you have a sulfur smell with your water?
I did which is why I changed the anode in the first place. I saw that the aluminum magnesium zinc ones take care of the smell so I bought one to switch out anode that came with it. turns out the anode was long gone based on there being nothing left. so it has probably been eating my pipes or the interior of the hot water heater

Reach4

Reaction score
I would, and did, opt for the CerAnode powered anode. It has a long electrode, which is better than a stubby electrode.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LSI or CI numbers would be beneficial but... some common problems with anodes going out quickly can include certain common problems. pH obviously, but also look at the chloride numbers. Sodium bicarbonate is the result of softening and fairly inert. A properly operating softener should not raise the chloride levels in the water.

As to the powered anode rods, my experience is limited but the science behind them is sound. I have heard mostly positive responses about them and the cost has come down enough in the past 5 years that they seem like a wise investment.

Rona1d

Reaction score
Everything was fine until the hot water started to smell like sulphur. so I did a bleach hydrogen peroxide soak and now everything is sound for now. I will get a water test and post the results and may go for the powered anode for peace of mind.

Reach4

Reaction score
Everything was fine until the hot water started to smell like sulphur. so I did a bleach hydrogen peroxide soak and now everything is sound for now. I will get a water test and post the results and may go for the powered anode for peace of mind.
For powered anodes, I like the CerAnode unit with the stretchable electrode. I think the stubby electrode units cannot be as effective.

Higher water heater temperature setting may help also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks