How long to wait to use vinegar and baking soda in sink after using drain cleaner ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Carlegeo

Reaction score
The bathroom sink had been draining very slowly and a chemical drain cleaner
was used one week ago. It did not solve the problem, and I want to try using
baking soda and vinegar before getting more help.

But have read that its not good to put those in if chemicals have been used.
(and realize probably it might not have been a good idea to use the chemical anyway)

The sink does very slowly drain so am guessing/hoping that the chemicals are all
gone, but not sure if they might still be present in the clog whether in jbend/ptrap
or further down the line (toilets and showers in same room drain ok)

===> Do you think its safe after one week to try the baking soda and vinegar ?

PS I would have removed the jbend first but the sink is a pedestal sink, and the pedestal
almost flush to the wall, and one end of the jbend is partially inside the pedestal itself;
and with my lack of experience, felt that it might have not been possible to put the jbend back.
As it is, a mirror is needed to see that end of the jbend inside the pedestal.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
V&bs

Vinegar and baking soda makes a nice "science fair" volcano, but does NOTHING to clear a drain. IT also has no interaction with a drain cleaner, especially a week latler. IF the drain cleaner had worked, all it would have done is open a tiny hole in the stoppage so it could drain away and leave the rest of the 'gunk' behind. You need a plumber with the right equipment to unplug the drain, and don't waste money on any other chemicals, regardless of how effective they claim to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks