Hot water lag time

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
My house was re piped a few months ago.The hot side was upgraded from 1/2" pipe to 3/4" CPVC all the way to the water heater (total 3/4" pipeing @ 25').
After getting advice from this site and some local plumbers I understand that the upgrade in pipeing size is causeing the lag time of getting hot water at a fixture @ 30+ seconds not to mention the water waste.Would a replace of 1/2" CPVC on the hot side, only from the water heater (@ 5') to where the pipexits the house fix this problem ,or at the least reduce the lag time? I know a recirculation is another way to fix this, but i do not want to got that route at least not yet....

If this helps @ 6' of 3/4" CPVC pipeing on the hot side is exposed to the outside,but insulated. @ 12 to 15' of that 3/4 CPVC pipe is uderground also insulated.
Big thanlks to all!

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I wouldn't think replacing 5 feet of 3/4 with 5 feet of 1/2 would make a significant difference .

DIY

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jimbo and hillbilly. So,what about replacing all hot side 3/4" CPVC to 1/2" CPVC (@ 25' total) instead of just the 5'?I know a 1/4" is not that much of a differnce in ID pipe size,but apparently it makes a 30+ second difference in the hot water delivery time. Sure it can be lived with...,but hey if i can make it right by replacing to smaller pipe i will try to. The previous galvanized clogged up pipe on the hot side was 1/2" and it delivered hot water almost as soon as a faucet was opened.

DIY

Reaction score
Thanks nhmaster. What would be the remidy for this than? I mean as i stated i used to get hot water at the faucet with the older galvanized 1/2" almost as soon as the faucet was turned on. Maybe i asked an un answerable question...:eek: Thanks to all!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You might try removing the restrictor disc in the faucet to allow more flow to come through faster.

DIY

Reaction score
hot water lag

Thanks nhmaster. What would be the remidy for this than? I mean as i stated i used to get hot water at the faucet with the older galvanized 1/2" almost as soon as the faucet was turned on. Maybe i asked an un answerable question...:eek: Thanks to all!

*remidy remedy*