Hot water heater venting

Users who are viewing this thread

loki993

Reaction score
I just installed a new hot water heater..its an AO smith with the powered flue thing on it to try to keep more heat in if that makes any difference.

The issue is the hot water that I replaced was quite a bit shorter so I couldn't run the venting like it was before. To add to the complications the water heater vent runs into a Y and into the furnace venting, not an issue in itself but the whole column is quite low. So basically all I have room for is one adjustable 90 degree vent pipe. It goes into the Y and on the other side sits right over the vent hood, but just over the 3 inch part of the hood..it doesn't reach down the the wider part where I can screw into it.

So there is a decent air gap in there between the hood and the 90. I can't get another piece in their to make up for the gap and screw into the vent hood. I checked all around and its got a good updraft under the vent hood like it should and in the gap left in the 90..so that's ok, but Im still worried its not right and i'm definitely concerned about possibility of carbon monoxide...as I should be. So I'm just being extra careful.

So how do I seal up that gap or is it ok? I am currently not running the heater because I'm concerned about it.

I also realize that without pics this may be hard to visualize so Ill snap some at lunch and upload them for a better look.

loki993

Reaction score
I just installed a new hot water heater..its an AO smith with the powered flue thing on it to try to keep more heat in if that makes any difference.

The issue is the hot water that I replaced was quite a bit shorter so I couldn't run the venting like it was before. To add to the complications the water heater vent runs into a Y and into the furnace venting, not an issue in itself but the whole column is quite low. So basically all I have room for is one adjustable 90 degree vent pipe. It goes into the Y and on the other side sits right over the vent hood, but just over the 3 inch part of the hood..it doesn't reach down the the wider part where I can screw into it.

So there is a decent air gap in there between the hood and the 90. I can't get another piece in their to make up for the gap and screw into the vent hood. I checked all around and its got a good updraft under the vent hood like it should and in the gap left in the 90..so that's ok, but Im still worried its not right and i'm definitely concerned about possibility of carbon monoxide...as I should be. So I'm just being extra careful.

So how do I seal up that gap or is it ok? I am currently not running the heater because I'm concerned about it.

I also realize that without pics this may be hard to visualize so Ill snap some at lunch and upload them for a better look.

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20181015_113915.jpg
    IMG_20181015_113915.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20181015_113905.jpg
    IMG_20181015_113905.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20181015_113900.jpg
    IMG_20181015_113900.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 185
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks