Home inspector calls too many 90s on a t andp discharge line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi a Client of mine called that is selling thier home , A home inspection was performed and Inspector pointed out 5 90s on a copper T and p discharge noting that only 4 are allowed he also noted that 2 couplings were installed in the line claiming those also were prohibited. (they were not couplings but unions as line comes around front of water heater, so the piece could be removed for easy water heater removal) I think argument could be made to actual;y require the union but I never put them in I think we were forced to use them years ago on a job or 2. obviously the supplys require a union.
Lastly and correctly he noted it needs a expansion tank to which I agree in this case.
But anyone heard of these requirements on the T and P ? I think he stated both manufacture requirements and code Its a Bradford white 50 g nat gas ultra low nox and UPC in Ca. I cant find any of these claimed requirements

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code says you can't restrict the flow. Nothing about what that means. Also says you cannot have threads on the termination.

Having 5 90's isn't illegal. If he's claiming that he needs to highlight the code violation or the manufacturer literature specifically.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code says you can't restrict the flow. Nothing about what that means. Also says you cannot have threads on the termination.

Having 5 90's isn't illegal. If he's claiming that he needs to highlight the code violation or the manufacturer literature specifically.
He isnt my boss just some home inspector he can say anything he wants I cant make him provide anything . But I told Homeowner he is full of it but Ill do whatever he wants to pay me to do.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
when I was searching for Back to back toilet drain installs. My inspector told me that my drains are not vented properly and I used the wrong cross wye to connect my toilets. I included some pics...Please if anyone can let me know what I would have to do to bring it to code. House in Long Island and I'm expecting a baby any day now and need to get this solved so I can continue with the project. Thanks!
You need to start a new thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I did federal boiler inspections / pressure vessels I followed the ASME codes and the NBBI

From what I remember a Safety /Relief, or a T&P shall not have more than 3- 90 deg fittings and the end of the discharge pipe shall be cut in a 45deg to prevent anyone adding another fitting or any other type of restrictions.

The 4 90's and 30 foot maximum length are manufacturer's regs, not the UPC 608.5 or IRC 2803.6.1.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Its all kind of a joke really.....
make a big issue out of basicallly a drain that
will probably never have water in it ..

the inspector must not be able to find anything else wrong
in the home.....
I suggest that you cut the line half way and increase it to one inch m copper
and see what he says ---throw a 1x3/4 sharkbite fitting in the line
to increase it and see if his head spins off.....:D:D

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is what happened. the homeowner asked me about the water heater connections on the t and p . house was for sale and house was inspected buyer approached him with the report. I never spoke to inspector I just gave my opinion that nothing was wrong or needed fixing.. I think the inspection had other things on list. this was like 8 monthes ago I never heard back anything other than that the house closed escrow and there was no comment on how it was resolved

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Its all kind of a joke really.....
make a big issue out of basicallly a drain that
will probably never have water in it ..

the inspector must not be able to find anything else wrong
in the home.....
I suggest that you cut the line half way and increase it to one inch m copper
and see what he says ---throw a 1x3/4 sharkbite fitting in the line
to increase it and see if his head spins off.....:D:D

How can you say "
big issue out of basicallly a drain that
will probably never have water in it "

Most plumbers DO TEST the T@P while working in a boiler room just to make sure it is working properly.

When I do boiler inspections I test the safety/ relief and T@P as it is a common sense

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks