help with Unico high velocity AC

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy in DC

Reaction score
Hello,

My 11YO Unico (indoor)-Rheem (outdoor) high velocity system needs to be replaced. The Unico coil leaks, so I consider changing both indoor and outdoor units. I am getting quotes and I am overwhelmed. More I read – I am more puzzled, so your comment would be appreciated.

First contractor proposes:
Unico Blower module M4860BL2ST2 with Unico coil module M4860CL1-E paired with Bryant 126BNA060.
Control: Bryant HousewiseTM Wi-Fi® thermostat.

This contractor is 30% more expensive but I’ve been working with them for a while, so I built trust. My reservation is the price and the fact the compressor is an old model. In the proposal, it is said that “Bryant will be with up to 16 SEER & up to 13 EER efficiency”, but when I asked how they came up with this number and about AHRI certification ensuring these two units work efficient together, they couldn’t give me the answer.

However, on the AHRI website I paired these two units and got information as follow:

Cooling capacity A2 – single or high stage 95F btuh: 50500
SEER: 12
EER A2 single or high stage 95F btuh: 10.05

• Unico ECM Blower M4860BL1-EC2 with Unico Coil M4860CL1-E paired with Bosch 5 ton inverter BOVB-60HDN1-M18M Honeywell TH6220WF2006
  • Or Unico Blower M4860BL1-ST2 with Unico Coil M4860CL1-E paired Rheem RA14AZ60AJ1NA. Same thermostat.
This company is in my location for a while but never worked with them, and online rating are in the middle (many satisfied and unsatisfied customers). Estimates are very good. My reservation is about Bosch – I like new technologies. Unico recommends their compressors, but Bosch doesn’t recommend pairing with Unico. I read many pros and cons of pairing both. The contractor only said that all their customers love Bosch and no complains so far.

Rheem seems OK, but no information on the AHRI website.

My house in 100YO. Insulation is fine but I have very large windows. I calculated that the cooling capacity should be around 80K BTUs, which is very tough with 5T compressor but overall, it has worked in the past. I might add a split system later on. Now I need to decide about the new equipment, so your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The higher the efficiency of the system the sharper and educated the service person needs to be. Might also need a laptop to connect to the condenser to see what is going on. Im not familiar with Unico. Looking at any of the manufacturers the seer rating advertised is for one condenser and the most efficient coil and blower assembly. They all miss and match coils and blowers and have engineering specs on systems. Unico shows bosch condenser on smaller systems. The ahu and coil they have is a 4-5 ton. There are other brands of high static units.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks