Help understanding volume and PSI

Users who are viewing this thread

Ambassador

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm running gas to a pottery shed 125' from the gas in the lower level laundry room ( total of 190' from the meter) with low pressure. The meter MAOP is 5-psi, but I'm thinking I'm only at 6-9" WC.

I won 1000' of new 3/4 poly gas pipe for super cheap at an auction, and I'll be running this to the shed and using the rest as underground conduit for my other crazy projects. I figure 50,000 BTU's would be more than adequate to heat that shed space, and I figured 3/4 would suffice.

However, we might want a pool and/or hot tub out that way near the shed one day. So I'm considering pipe diameter in the case that we pull gas from the shed to a potential nearby pool/hot tub heater.

But I'm having a hard time understanding the BTU bottleneck and the correlation between psi, pipe diameter and volume. For example, if I run two 3/4 gas lines to the shed over that 125' distance, tee them together before running to the shed heater, would I increase BTU potential in the same way as if I ran 1 1/2 pipe diameter over that 125' distance?

I figure a future pool heater would add an additional 35' to the run from the shed, and I know hot tubs require quite the flow if you want to raise 20-30 degrees in an hour or so! So, would two 3/4 lines be appropriate? Or should I just bury one 3/4 to the shed and cross the whole pool heater pipe diameter bridge when I come to it? It's hard because I'll have the ground open...

I appreciate your thoughts!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not sure if running them parallel is a good idea. Perhaps one pipe for the shed, and another for a future, however, having the right size gas main to the meter and the meter itself has to handle the full load.

Why two 3/4" pipe is not the same as one 1.5" pipe. Assuming the inside diameter is .75", it has a cross section area of .44 sq. inches. A pipe with an inside diameter of 1.5" has an area of 1.76 sq inches. Therefore, two 3/4" pipes has a total of .88 sq inches with more resistance to flow.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/circle-area.html

Ambassador

Reaction score
Silly me. Of course. So I decided to run one 3/4 since I'll only need 40,000 BTU and I put another in the trench as a backup. I figure I'll just dig if we ever do a pool.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks