Help! Need to seal septic pipe ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread

T L

Reaction score
A local company has replaced the pipe leading into my underground septic tank and applied hydraulic cement to create a seal around the new PVC pipe...the first attempt to seal yesterday seemed to leave an obvious crack where water could infiltrate, as if the cement had not bonded with--or pulled away from--the original cement. [see first pic below]

Today, their second attempt appears to leave a narrower crack, but a crack nonetheless. [see second picture below, the close up]

I must fix this problem myself if I can before this area will be covered by the folks installing a patio, who've been patiently waiting and working around the unexpected problem that led to this pipe's replacement.

I'd welcome suggestions for what a homeowner might be able to do on his own...i'm not the handiest, but am willing to try learning new things...

I'm assuming there is a risk of water--especially spring snow melt--getting into the tank. The patio work we're doing will also include some regrading that should prevent lots of water from flowing towards this tank, but it is an area that has historically gotten wet in spring; am i correct that i do risk water running down a side of the tank and getting into the septic system, thus shortening its life and/or creating other problems?

I welcome any other thoughts/ things i might try to confirm if there really is a problem. I have found some posts suggestion poly sealant as one option--a product like this--
[https://www.master-builders-solutions.basf.us/en-us/products/masterseal/2001]
though I gather ideally this should have been used before...might i use some product like this now to attempt to add a seal?

can i try draping 6 millimeter plastic over the area to guide water away or will that create other problems?

put some non-porous soil around this area to reduce the amount of water that reaches it?

thank you for any advice!

tom

IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG

MKS

Reaction score
You may want to look into below grade roofing cement. Clean up, trowel on apply a mesh as best you can and apply more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks