Height and position of custom shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

flighttnc

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a custom shower that is being installed and have questions regarding the positioning of the components. The ceiling height in the bathroom is 8 feet. I am 5'7" and the tallest user is 6'1".

I had asked to have the thermostatic temperature control valve set at approximately waist height (my waist height, about 40" from the floor), with the volume control valves (two) slightly above the thermostatic valve.

I came home today to find the valves much higher than I expected. The thermostatic valve has been installed at my chest height (about 51" from the floor) and the volume control valves have been installed above the thermostatic valve level with my nose (about 61" from the floor.) The bathroom floor will remain at the same height.

I also have three body sprays and a shower head that have yet to be installed and had asked to have them installed on a pressure balanced loop, positioned as follows (as per Grohe's positioning guidelines):

Top-level: shoulder/back height
Mid-level: waist/hip height
Low-level: thigh/knee height
Shower head: above the level of the tallest user

I have the following questions:

1) Are there set guidelines or standards for any of the above components (i.e. in inches from the floor) using the height of my bathroom (96 inches) that I can give the plumber to place the valves?
2) Should the valves be positioned away from the outlets or does this matter?

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

EVERYTHING is cosmetic and aesthetic. So you can install them wherever you want to and at any height. My preference for the volume control is about 42" above the floor, in a location that is accessible as you enter the shower enclosure, with the temperature control below it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks