He says-she says on paint color for cream kitchen cabinets..help!

Users who are viewing this thread

sajesak

Reaction score
Hi,
This is cross-posted with the Home Decorating forum in case some kitchen forum people don't frequent that HD forum.
My wife and I are getting French Vanilla kitchen cabinets and are torn on what paint color for the kitchen.
Even though the cabinets in this photo are white, I think the paint color in this photo would still go with creamy colored cabinets, so I'd like this for our kitchen:

5cc259f204bf02e3_4262-w500-h375-b0-p0--.jpg

My wife isn't so sure and thinks it might be better to have the kitchen color be the same as the foyer/hallway/LR color, which we think will be a yellowish color like BM Concord Ivory or Marblehead Gold...something along the lines of buffalotina's kitchen:
{{!gwi}}
My wife says a home will look bigger if the paint color is the same in all the rooms b/c your eye keeps moving. I don't necessarily disagree but I think a yellowish color paint with French Vanilla cabinets might be too much of a similar color family; I prefer more of a contrast.
FWIW, we have a 1911 Arts & Crafts style home that is fairly small (1600 sf).
Do you think the kitchen color should be the same as the foyer/hallway/LR color (yellowish), or is it ok to have the kitchen be something different (greenish) than the foyer/hallway/LR (yellowish)?

sajesak

Reaction score
Hi,
This is cross-posted with the Home Decorating forum in case some kitchen forum people don't frequent that HD forum.
My wife and I are getting French Vanilla kitchen cabinets and are torn on what paint color for the kitchen.
Even though the cabinets in this photo are white, I think the paint color in this photo would still go with creamy colored cabinets, so I'd like this for our kitchen:

5cc259f204bf02e3_4262-w500-h375-b0-p0--.jpg

My wife isn't so sure and thinks it might be better to have the kitchen color be the same as the foyer/hallway/LR color, which we think will be a yellowish color like BM Concord Ivory or Marblehead Gold...something along the lines of buffalotina's kitchen:
{{!gwi}}
My wife says a home will look bigger if the paint color is the same in all the rooms b/c your eye keeps moving beige kitchen ideas. I don't necessarily disagree but I think a yellowish color paint with French Vanilla cabinets might be too much of a similar color family; I prefer more of a contrast.
FWIW, we have a 1911 Arts & Crafts style home that is fairly small (1600 sf).
Do you think the kitchen color should be the same as the foyer/hallway/LR color (yellowish), or is it ok to have the kitchen be something different (greenish) than the foyer/hallway/LR (yellowish)?
thanks in advance for any help

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If each room is walled off, no open plan then individual colors for each room is OK. Open plan everything looks better as one color. Depending on how much natural light there is determines the shade of color. Dark colors never seem to work unless you want to make a statement.

Personally owning five homes I've done my share of painting. What I've found is when you find the color you like, go one shade lighter. A whole room painted the color may seem darker after it dries. One color chip doesn't hold much.

I'm more conservative, For a cream color cabinets and as your picture shows, for me it's to dark of a green.

There is no simple answer since it comes down to personal choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks