Gushing septic line - snapped at foundation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pktaske

Reaction score
637289524.jpg

Pktaske

Reaction score
So I imagine I had a failure of my septic line on my 2nd home (my cousin is renting it now). She said yesterday she heard water and went downstairs to the basement. It was 'gushing' (so not a trickle) out from where my 3" ABS septic pipe was running out through the wall. I haven't been down there but she took a pic (above).

20 year old house. Figured house settled and this is snapped off right against the outside wall where the pressure from the foundation pushing down finally snapped it. From the gushing, I'm thinking the pipes ar enot lined up nearly at all anymore but I'll find out tonight when I go down there and cut from the inside to take a look with a flashlight.

Questions I have:
-Will cutting the pipe on the inside to take a look do any additional damage?

-Is there any kind of quick fix till it can get repaired later this week (like pushing a 10' 2.5" pipe thru and then sealing to the inside sewer line so at least it gets down there 'far enough' to drain into the tank?) of course this assumes there is still some good portion of pipe still aligned enough.

-Will homeowners insurance cover this?

-Plumber is charging $1800. She already gave him $600 and signed something. Im not concerned about paying someone to do this as I'm busy but it seems a bit high for digging a hole and repairing 3 feet of ABS. I did my double line well pump a few years ago, rented a backhoe (similar problem) and that was very much more complex (if you could call it that). That's what I imagine paying 1800 for.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt insurance will cover anything beyond damage from raw sewage clean up and damage in basement clean up flooring, drywall, furniture, mold remediation. you have a dedutable, nothing wrong with calling agent and inquiring but my guess is nada.
1800 is a lot of money yes! not nessesarily over priced though A plumbing service company thats all "Legit" ( legit term used loosely) fancy trucks, uniforms, advertizing, fully insured ,bonded , workers comp. probebly be around 200 to 350 an hour on flat rate work , or however much they can get he is going to spend better part of a day out there thats around a couple thousand bucks. I live near (60 miles out ) Los Angeles the closer to the big city higher the prices.
Pktask take a few more pic and share the process hand digging , men on job, hours spent depth of trench. helpful info thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
So I imagine I had a failure of my septic line on my 2nd home (my cousin is renting it now). She said yesterday she heard water and went downstairs to the basement. It was 'gushing' (so not a trickle) out from where my 3" ABS septic pipe was running out through the wall. I haven't been down there but she took a pic (above).
Picture shows PVC pipe, rather than ABS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks