Gurgling sound in my sink when I flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Tdkdpt

Reaction score
Recently, I have noticed that my 1st floor half bath toilet will get quite "gurgly" when flushing. A few days ago, the sound has now been coming through the sink whenever we flush. It doesnt always come through the sink; I'd say maybe 50/50 sink and toilet. But, whenever we flush, there is a gurgling sound.

History: I did a minor bathroom makeover 2-3 months ago. I was putting in a makeshift shiplap on the wall behind the toilet, and when tacking on one of the boards, I hit a copper pipe with my brad nailer. (Im assuming it was the vent stack). I freaked out a little, stopped the job but nothing ever came of it, so I assumed I was good.

Could this gurgling sound and hitting that pipe be related? If so, why now 2-3 months after the fact?
Any suggestions on how to fix the gurgling sound?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
If the copper pipe was a vent then nailing a hole into it would not cause that issue, it can however begin to allow sewer odor (sewer gas) to enter into the area of the hole so do not leave it unrepaired.
The gurgling you are describing sounds like a drain blockage, Are you on a septic tank?

Dgeist

Reaction score
Gurgling is caused by inadequate (or absent) air replacement as the water moves through DWV pipes. Your sink and toilet probably share a vent in some way (hence both being impacted). The sink gurgling is suction in the drain attempting to replace the air via your lavatory trap when you flush. Can you access the vent where it penetrates the roof? Any chance of snow/ice blockage (or leaves, etc.). It could also be partial blockage from the lav if it's drain is used as a "wet vent" for the toilet. If you happened to take some pictures of the configuration during your reno, that might help in troubleshooting.

Tdkdpt

Reaction score
We are on a city sewer system. Would the blockage be through the vent? Possibly something in the portion that sticks out of my house? Or do you mean blockage as in through the sewer pipes?

Tdkdpt

Reaction score
Gurgling is caused by inadequate (or absent) air replacement as the water moves through DWV pipes. Your sink and toilet probably share a vent in some way (hence both being impacted). The sink gurgling is suction in the drain attempting to replace the air via your lavatory trap when you flush. Can you access the vent where it penetrates the roof? Any chance of snow/ice blockage (or leaves, etc.). It could also be partial blockage from the lav if it's drain is used as a "wet vent" for the toilet. If you happened to take some pictures of the configuration during your reno, that might help in troubleshooting.

We have gotten quite a few snow/ice storms recently so this could be the issue. I never thought of this or knew that could be a problem since it hasnt happened in the past. But yes, I can access this pipe. They combine, travel through my garage attic and out the garage roof so I can get up there to see what might be happening.

Dgeist

Reaction score
Check the temp on the vent pipes in the garage roof. If they're metal, any water in them will freeze a lot faster (plastic's a better insulator). Pay special attention to any horizontal runs or places where there's a vertical to horizontal transition. If you can, try taking a container of hot (not scalding) water up on the roof and pouring it slowly down the vent. It should at least drain. If not, then you know that's the problem; if so, it'll help clear out any accumulation if it's partially blocked by ice. If you can't access that safely, you can also put an electric warming blanket on the pipes in the unconditioned spaces to help break up any ice blockages.

Tdkdpt

Reaction score
Check the temp on the vent pipes in the garage roof. If they're metal, any water in them will freeze a lot faster (plastic's a better insulator). Pay special attention to any horizontal runs or places where there's a vertical to horizontal transition. If you can, try taking a container of hot (not scalding) water up on the roof and pouring it slowly down the vent. It should at least drain. If not, then you know that's the problem; if so, it'll help clear out any accumulation if it's partially blocked by ice. If you can't access that safely, you can also put an electric warming blanket on the pipes in the unconditioned spaces to help break up any ice blockages.

I'll give this a shot today. I can safely access this pipe. How much water would you recommend pouring down there? Safe to bet just a pot of warm water?

Dgeist

Reaction score
I'll give this a shot today. I can safely access this pipe. How much water would you recommend pouring down there? Safe to bet just a pot of warm water?

Not so much that you have a hard time handling it. Not so little that the heat won't do anything. Mostly, You want to get enough down there so you can tell what's going on, but not so much that it spills out and creates a hazard on your roof.

BTW, if you had a nail puncture during that reno and you didn't "seal it" with caulk or something, you may get some small amount of leakage at that spot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks