Grease Interceptor "Trap" Clean-Out

Users who are viewing this thread

jms87

Reaction score
What is the best PPE to use while doing the grease trap? I wore gloves and a partial mask, but the smell is still very awful. Maybe it won't be as bad if I clean it more often? Is there any additives I can use to keep the smell down, clean the pipes before the trap, etc?

Thanks

Goat

Reaction score
sorry to bother you im still learning how to use this page. my question is about a grease trap on a three compartment sink in NC. I was thinking I should be able to connect all three together on a 2'' line and connect them directly to the grease trap its less then a 30'' drop from the drain and less then a 60'' waste line from the most up steam sink drain to the grease trap inlet. on the outlet of the grease trap should I provide an air gap. or is it not nessesary sin im told its just for washing dishes and not food prep.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the grease trap is setting in the kitchen I would connect it directly to the plumbing and set it up so the sink drains indirect to the grease trap. Put a p-trap with a proper vent or air admittance valve on the inlet end of the grease trap. If the grease trap is indirectly drained, there will be a lot of bad odor from the outlet.

The rules required an indirect drain before but with the new food code things may have changed but it depends on what your inspector says.

5-402.11 Backflow Prevention.

(A) Except as specified in ¶¶ (B), (C), and (D) of this section, a direct connection may not exist between the SEWAGE system and a drain originating from EQUIPMENT in which FOOD, portable EQUIPMENT, or UTENSILS are placed. P

(B) Paragraph (A) of this section does not apply to floor drains that originate in refrigerated spaces that are constructed as an integral part of the building.

(C) If allowed by LAW, a WAREWASHING machine may have a direct connection between its waste outlet and a floor drain when the machine is located within 1.5 m (5 feet) of a trapped floor drain and the machine outlet is connected to the inlet side of a properly vented floor drain trap.

(D) If allowed by LAW, a WAREWASHING or culinary sink may have a direct connection.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only thing you want to run into a grease trap is grease laden waste.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many ways to connect the sinks to the grease interceptor, but ALL of them require the "flow control' device on the inlet to the interceptor.

grease_trap_rough_josam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
There are many ways to connect the sinks to the grease interceptor, but ALL of them require the "flow control' device on the inlet to the interceptor.
Thank you HJ for calling it interceptor and not a trap;)

Goat

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your responses. after some more thought on the subject i'm thinking of tying the drains together and running them over to a reducing coupling with a trap on it, creating my indirect air gap drain. from there a short piece going into a flow control valve tee. out the vertical riser of the flow control valve a short piece maybe 8'' going to a studor vent and out the horizontal of the flow control going into the grease interceptor. and tye the outlet of the interceptor directly to the main waste drain. does anyone think that sounds ok. or do they have any suggestions that they think would work better? or any thing I should consider or keep in mind when running this set up? I know that the grease interceptor could serve as the trap, if I recall right, but with the indirect drain I figure mine as well include a trap at the bottom of the reducer. I of course will support all these travel pieces to make it rigid. I thank you for any advice.

Goat

Reaction score

thank you. I agree. I realize I didn't mention the flow control

Goat

Reaction score
thank you Smooky the info made me think about it a little more it probably would stink if the air gap was after the interceptor
If the grease trap is setting in the kitchen I would connect it directly to the plumbing and set it up so the sink drains indirect to the grease trap. Put a p-trap with a proper vent or air admittance valve on the inlet end of the grease trap. If the grease trap is indirectly drained, there will be a lot of bad odor from the outlet.

The rules required an indirect drain before but with the new food code things may have changed but it depends on what your inspector says.

5-402.11 Backflow Prevention.

(A) Except as specified in ¶¶ (B), (C), and (D) of this section, a direct connection may not exist between the SEWAGE system and a drain originating from EQUIPMENT in which FOOD, portable EQUIPMENT, or UTENSILS are placed. P

(B) Paragraph (A) of this section does not apply to floor drains that originate in refrigerated spaces that are constructed as an integral part of the building.

(C) If allowed by LAW, a WAREWASHING machine may have a direct connection between its waste outlet and a floor drain when the machine is located within 1.5 m (5 feet) of a trapped floor drain and the machine outlet is connected to the inlet side of a properly vented floor drain trap.

(D) If allowed by LAW, a WAREWASHING or culinary sink may have a direct connection.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Question is this sink washing of pots and dishes ect, and not a food prep sink.
If it is a three part sink for washing pots it may be directly connected to the intercepter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you install a trap under the sink, and since the interceptor IS also a trap, the vent for the flow control would be the only way to eliminate a "double trap" situation where the water would not drain, and THAT vent cannot be connected to an AAV/Studor vent.

grease_trap_rough_sewer_rat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Goat

Reaction score
im told that it is just for dishes but the dishes are for food so that's why I thought I'd add the gap

Goat

Reaction score
thanks hj, so should I just have a 90 or long sweep coming out of the reducer ? can that vent made into the flow control tee, serve as the only vent on that piece going from the indirect coupling reducer to the grease interceptor? and do you have any ideas on how to vent the flow control without a air admittance valve and without running the pipe out the roof. thank you for your time.

Goat

Reaction score
it is for cleaning pot and dishes but I was thinking that the code says that areas that clean utensils used for food also need an air gap
Question is this sink washing of pots and dishes ect, and not a food prep sink.
If it is a three part sink for washing pots it may be directly connected to the intercepter.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Is something like what you are going to connect your three part sink to?

Attachments

• grease trap.jpg
    grease trap.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 836

Goat

Reaction score
yes. it is something like that however, I need to look it over better i never got a chance to open it i believe some that are shaped this way have a flow control built in. i'd like to hear what your thought are on it. thanks for your time cwhyu2.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I haven't seen a mention of what type of grease interceptor is needed. Manual, semi-automatic or automatic. Sometimes this can be costly if the required interceptor isn't confirmed by the inspecting authority. Even when replacing an existing interceptor, updated codes may require a different one.
When referring to the code excerpt that related to air gaps, the "equipment" that is mentioned does not include sinks. It translates to equipment such as dish washers, glass sterilizers and the like.
Most standard installations are as follows for three compartment sinks.
2" p-trap on each compartment followed by a vent for each trap.
Diffuser to control flow and then a clean out before the interceptor inlet. The diffuser will have it's own vent attachment (usually 3/4" or 1").
After the interceptor there will be another vent. This one works together with the diffuser vent to prevent vapor lock in the interceptor.
No AAVs or studor vents are to be used on the installation for any vents.
If a semi-automatic or automatic interceptor is installed then a valve will be installed on the interceptor outlet.
It's also important to have the grease interceptor properly sized for the total volume of the three compartment sink. That also has not been mentioned yet, so I thought it may be important if food or plumbing inspections are pending.
If this is a new restaurant installation, keep in mind that any prep sinks with disposals attached may be required to discharge into the grease trap as well. Some of the plumbing codes refer to the IMC for this type of arrangement in restaurants.
Since the introduction of the IPC and UPC across the US, double-trapping has become one of the most misunderstood subjects because of the interpretation of the modern definition and the examples given by the IPC/UPC, even though avoiding the practice has been observed for over a hundred years. If installed as I described above, double-trapping will not be an issue.

Last edited:

Goat

Reaction score
thank you for your response, it is a lot of information. I will find out the model interceptor it is, since it has already been bought by the restaurant owner. but based on these post it seems no matter what type grease interceptor it is it must have all vents tied into the vent that goes out the roof. is this the case?
I haven't seen a mention of what type of grease interceptor is needed. Manual, semi-automatic or automatic. Sometimes this can be costly if the required interceptor isn't confirmed by the inspecting authority. Even when replacing an existing interceptor, updated codes may require a different one.
When referring to the code excerpt that related to air gaps, the "equipment" that is mentioned does not include sinks. It translates to equipment such as dish washers, glass sterilizers and the like.
Most standard installations are as follows for three compartment sinks.
2" p-trap on each compartment followed by a vent for each trap.
Diffuser to control flow and then a clean out before the interceptor inlet. The diffuser will have it's own vent attachment (usually 3/4" or 1").
After the interceptor there will be another vent. This one works together with the diffuser vent to prevent vapor lock in the interceptor.
No AAVs or studor vents are to be used on the installation for any vents.
If a semi-automatic or automatic interceptor is installed then a valve will be installed on the interceptor outlet.
It's also important to have the grease interceptor properly sized for the total volume of the three compartment sink. That also has not been mentioned yet, so I thought it may be important if food or plumbing inspections are pending.
If this is a new restaurant installation, keep in mind that any prep sinks with disposals attached may be required to discharge into the grease trap as well. Some of the plumbing codes refer to the IMC for this type of arrangement in restaurants.
Since the introduction of the IPC and UPC across the US, double-trapping has become one of the most misunderstood subjects because of the interpretation of the modern definition and the examples given by the IPC/UPC, even though avoiding the practice has been observed for over a hundred years. If installed as I described above, double-trapping will not be an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks