Goodman compressor

Users who are viewing this thread

wikid321

Reaction score
So i have a central air unit made by goodman. Ive has compressor replaced about 3 yrs ago. I wasnt previous owner. Last year i started noticing this and its happening once again. When i turn the unit on for first time. Meaning its been off couple days or was on heat. The compressor fan spins but the unit isnt actually blowing cold air. After a bit it then kicks on. What i did a few times was i actually turned breaker off assuming maybe power glitch and don't know if coincidence but has worked. Last week i tried that didnt work but like with a minute or two later it kicked in cold air. Any idea. Could be bad thermostat?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There will be no sensation of cold until the compressor runs long enough to pull the heat out of the evaporator coil. On many systems the condenser fan runs anytime the compressor is on whie on others it is cycled based on the high side pressure/temperature.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
When you kill power and turn it back on, You should wait about 3 min because there is a 3 Minuit safety time delay relay.

You could have a bad start/run capacitor, and it is trying to start and will keep trying, until it starts or trips the breaker.

Was the cap replaced when the new compressor was put in ?

Good Luck.

wikid321

Reaction score
So cacher_chic what ur saying is the coil is hot and needs to cool down thats why fans spoins and then its cool so compressor kicks on makes it cold air?

DonL, i have no idea if cap was replaced. The whole unit was replaced and if cap was in unit then i would say yes. If it wasnt then i would say no. The unit works and fires. The breaker restart wont allow unit to power becaus ethe thermostat wasys wait on it then kicks on. So i guess theres a saftey upi speak on there.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The compressor is what moves the refrigerant, which takes the heat out of the house. The fan on the condenser removes heat from the refrigerant before sending it back into the evaporator coil in your house.

DonL

Reaction score
It sound like the T-Stat is protecting your unit.

Many Thermostats , The Smart ones will not change modes or take a Temperature change without a delay.

And A power cycle is going to make you wait, It is designed that way.

The Delay is good to have.

wikid321

Reaction score
So what ur saying is this is normal thats why this happens at very first start up after sitting off few days?

DonL

Reaction score
So what ur saying is this is normal thats why this happens at very first start up after sitting off few days?

How long is the delay ?

When you have to cool the house after having it off it will take awhile.

You have to cool the duct work after the evaporator coil gets cool, like CC was saying.

How much of a temperature change are you trying to get and how long is it taking ?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks